How to Query Memoir AND Non-fiction

Questions for the resident (former) agent
careyelola

How to Query Memoir AND Non-fiction

Post by careyelola » May 21st, 2012, 3:04 pm

Hi Nathan,

I am working on a book that is largely memoir but also incorporates non-fiction (analysis of academic studies, artifacts of popular culture, and other verifiable data). I know that for non-fiction a proposal is required, but I've also read that a memoir should be finished before it is sent out. What would be the best way to present a book that could be categorized as both?

Thanks so much and apologies if the question has already been asked!

Nathan Bransford

Re: How to Query Memoir AND Non-fiction

Post by Nathan Bransford » May 26th, 2012, 12:57 pm

careyelola wrote:Hi Nathan,

I am working on a book that is largely memoir but also incorporates non-fiction (analysis of academic studies, artifacts of popular culture, and other verifiable data). I know that for non-fiction a proposal is required, but I've also read that a memoir should be finished before it is sent out. What would be the best way to present a book that could be categorized as both?

Thanks so much and apologies if the question has already been asked!
If it's a "lens" book where you're using the memoir as a framing device for nonfiction material I think it's probably okay to query with a proposal. If agents are interested in the idea you'll hear in short order whether they think you'll need the whole thing or not.

longknife

Re: How to Query Memoir AND Non-fiction

Post by longknife » May 27th, 2012, 2:26 pm

As Nathan posted, you need to prepare a proposal. AWWC.com has a thread of preparing proposals and QueryTracker.net has an extensive list of agents [and publishers] to find one that will fit with your work.

Good luck.