Use of Business Names

Questions for the resident (former) agent
LadyDamorea

Use of Business Names

Post by LadyDamorea » May 5th, 2012, 7:31 am

Hello Nathan,
I'm writing a novel and its sequel. I am using the names of a couple of local businesses in these books. The businesses are landmarks in the town. I have gotten verbal permission to use the names. Is it appropriate to use them? Should I get written permission? Will it effect my ability to find an agent or publisher for these books? What else should I know about this topic?
Thank you for answering my questions.

Nathan Bransford

Re: Use of Business Names

Post by Nathan Bransford » May 5th, 2012, 1:49 pm

LadyDamorea wrote:Hello Nathan,
I'm writing a novel and its sequel. I am using the names of a couple of local businesses in these books. The businesses are landmarks in the town. I have gotten verbal permission to use the names. Is it appropriate to use them? Should I get written permission? Will it effect my ability to find an agent or publisher for these books? What else should I know about this topic?
Thank you for answering my questions.
I'm not a publishing attorney, so take my response with a grain of salt, but I would be careful about using the names of actual places. I can't recall the specifics, but I want to say a business has actually sued an author over its portrayal. If you have permission I'd imagine it's fine, but either way this is not something likely to concern an agent or publisher.