How to submit a query letter when you have a writing partner

Questions for the resident (former) agent
klbritt

How to submit a query letter when you have a writing partner

Post by klbritt » February 2nd, 2012, 11:30 pm

Hi Nathan (and other readers/writers)!

A good friend and I have completed a children's picture book and are wanting to start submitting it to agents. My question is (and I know you've not worked with children's picture books), how do we write our query letter when there are two of us?

I've read through your writing advice database and also how to format a query letter, so I'm hoping you can help me out a bit. Should I (I'm submitting the queries) right upfront let the agent know that two of us wrote the picture book, or is it best to put it at the end of the letter - or not at all?

Thanks,
Kristie
~Kristie

-: Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read - Groucho Marx :-

http://www.BKRivers.blogspot.com

MattLarkin

Re: How to submit a query letter when you have a writing partner

Post by MattLarkin » February 3rd, 2012, 10:13 am

I'd imagine you'd say something in the bio paragraph like "my writing partner and I..."

I don't know much about children's picture books, but I wouldn't think that the type of book would make a difference in this case.
mattlarkin.net
larkinediting.com - freelance editing for fantasy and science fiction
ImageImageImage

klbritt

Post by klbritt » February 3rd, 2012, 11:34 am

Thanks Matt! That helps.

~Kristie
~Kristie

-: Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read - Groucho Marx :-

http://www.BKRivers.blogspot.com

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » February 4th, 2012, 12:22 am

klbritt wrote:Hi Nathan (and other readers/writers)!

A good friend and I have completed a children's picture book and are wanting to start submitting it to agents. My question is (and I know you've not worked with children's picture books), how do we write our query letter when there are two of us?

I've read through your writing advice database and also how to format a query letter, so I'm hoping you can help me out a bit. Should I (I'm submitting the queries) right upfront let the agent know that two of us wrote the picture book, or is it best to put it at the end of the letter - or not at all?

Thanks,
Kristie
Yeah, just sign it with two names, otherwise it's pretty much the same. However you want to approach it is fine.