What Would You Do?

Questions for the resident (former) agent
longknife

What Would You Do?

Post by longknife » October 22nd, 2011, 12:11 pm

I've been offered a contract for Tsalagi Tales, the sequel to Sonora Symphony – and I find myself reluctant to accept and sign it. There are a number of reasons for this.

I was asked to remove profanity from Sonora Symphony so it would be suitable for a larger range of readers. Then, when it was published, I found it listed under Young Adult on the website and, no matter how many times I asked, it never showed up in the General Audience area. Also, the website has never been professional or provided easy access to the novel. Now, as of today, the site won't show any books at all!

When asked, I provided detailed information on what I felt should be on the cover. When I got the first draft, it had a cowboy in a purple outfit. In addition, the font used for the title was unusual and not, in my opinion, appropriate for the subject. Finally, it included a soldier – using a cell phone for goodness sake! Not anything to do with the story. While the moon and desert at night was okay, a number of people have shared my opinion that the animal is a wolf and not a coyote. But, I shrugged my shoulders and accepted.

Next, the contract indicated the publisher would seek four reviews. I later learned there is nobody to do so within the company. Also, normal practice is to issue a press release when a contract is signed but never learned if one had been released by the publisher. The same held true when the book was published. I went out on my own and got one review by an author whose book is doing very well on Kindle and sent out press releases. Again, nothing by the publisher – it was I who posted the review to the publisher's Yahoo! Group that was never acknowledged.

Then, when I had another reviewer interested in it, I learned that the Kindle sample copy of Sonora Symphony has some very unprofessional coding embedded in it. How many possible buyers back off upon seeing that? And, as of today, the coding is still there.

I've also been urged to take part in “chat sessions with the girls.” What on earth does my book have to do with the romance and erotica from “the girls”? I already take part in whatever discussions go on in the various writing forums and am doing a lot to publicize and sell the book to a far wider audience.

In addition, I've had a number of people question the publisher's logo, wondering who and what it is and why a book about a disabled soldier, The Sonora Desert and American Indians has it on the cover. If they are going to sell non-romance and/or erotica, wouldn't a different logo be more appropriate?

If I cancel the contract prior to the 3 year term, they will impose a $75 fine/fee. However, the contract clearly states that I own the characters.

Here's my question: should I sign the contract for the sequel? Should I wait 6 months to see what's going to happen? Should I think about finding a different publisher to do the sequel? {I already have another publisher for my Father Serra's Legacy trilogy} Should I approach them?

All suggestions are appreciated. :roll:

MattLarkin

Re: What Would You Do?

Post by MattLarkin » October 23rd, 2011, 7:50 am

If you're unhappy with the service they provided, then I think you should seek another publisher, yes.
mattlarkin.net
larkinediting.com - freelance editing for fantasy and science fiction
ImageImageImage

longknife

Post by longknife » October 26th, 2011, 10:56 am

Thanks for the response. We've just agreed to terminate the contract and I'll have to sit on it for 3 months until I can market it again.

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » October 30th, 2011, 12:27 pm

Sorry it took me a while to get to this, I was out of town. Sounds like you came to a resolution though. Sorry you had a frustrating experience!

longknife

Post by longknife » October 30th, 2011, 4:34 pm

Nathan Bransford wrote:Sorry it took me a while to get to this, I was out of town. Sounds like you came to a resolution though. Sorry you had a frustrating experience!
Frustrating is an understatement!
But, I learned a lot and hope some others did as well.

Just an example of a professional publisher - just got 4 proposals for the cover of the first novel in the Father Serra's Legacy trilogy. Not of them worked, so I wrote back explaining why I had written what I did and where the title came from. I also pointed out the importance of the setting to be in Baja California.
Instead of getting uppity like the other one, they sent a very reason response and apologized that it might take a few days to get back to me.