Someone with same name already bombed

Questions for the resident (former) agent
TedtheThird

Someone with same name already bombed

Post by TedtheThird » July 9th, 2011, 7:03 pm

I tried searching but didn't see this as a topic (which I find somewhat surprising, I'm sure this question would have been asked before).

The link inside the email took me to Amazon’s website and two books. The author’s name was the same as my own except that this author was a Jr, and I’m a third, thus the TedtheThird moniker. Both books were Sci/Fi / Christian. One was published in 2002, and the other in 2001. The 2001 book was actually a reprint of a 1980 book. I was eight years old when that book was published. The thing is I don’t have a very common name, especially my last name. Yet, here is a guy with my name who has published two books. One book had one review on Amazon, the other had two. I can’t imagine they did really well with such few reviews.

My question is when I start querying, should I take the time to point out that I’m Ted A, no not Ted A, Jr., I’m Ted the third, so my query is not confused with this other person. I’ve often thought that maybe I would use F. Ted A as my pen name. It kind of sounds like F. Scott Fitzgerald. Maybe the association will cause some editor/agent to look favorably upon my work. Well, one can dream.
Blog: http://tedthethird.blogspot.com/
Twitter: @TedtheThird

Nathan Bransford

Re: Someone with same name already bombed

Post by Nathan Bransford » July 13th, 2011, 11:49 pm

I don't know that an agent is going to go hunting for you, but yeah, it wouldn't hurt to add in a PS that you're not the same person as the other author or otherwise use a pen name that distinguishes you.