non-fiction release

Questions for the resident (former) agent
Gargouile

non-fiction release

Post by Gargouile » July 9th, 2011, 5:57 pm

I would like to write a non-fiction book based on a court case and what I know of the people involved.

A man and his mother rented my home for three years. They told me that they were involved in a custody battle and that the mother was insane. I found the court documents because something didn't seem right about them.

The man and his mother tried to start a Christian cult far out in Tennessee. When the former wife didn't conform to their expectations, they kept her in a shed with the windows painted over. She didn't have a bed, running water, or electricity.

They would make her pray naked and copy bible verses hundreds of times among other things. They called these tasks neutralizing exercises.

They admitted in the court documents that everything occurred but that the ex-wife wanted to do it willingly and asked for the punishments.

I have a release from the ex-wife.

In this publishing climate, do I have to have releases from the mother and son to submit a proposal of what they did to the ex-wife?

Also, I'm already being sued by the mother and son for defamation of character. We may settle, and they may sign a document that broadly states that they can't sue me again for defamation of character. My attorney says it may be too tricky to add more language in the document regarding publishing a book about them and libel.

Any help would be appreciated.

Nathan Bransford

Re: non-fiction release

Post by Nathan Bransford » July 13th, 2011, 11:48 pm

I'd definitely consult with your attorney on this one - they're going to be able to give you better advice than I could about the legal ramifications.