Acknowledgements, at which stage?

Questions for the resident (former) agent
ellisshuman

Acknowledgements, at which stage?

Post by ellisshuman » July 5th, 2011, 7:22 am

Hello Nathan and all readers,

I am relatively new here, reading old posts and gaining new knowledge.

I raise a question which I don't see answered anywhere else, but if it was, I apologize for not noticing it.

I have just finished the first draft of my novel and am now revising it into a marketable manuscript.

At this stage I am also conducting serious research, attempting to contact experts to verify certain details I have presented in the narrative to confirm that what I have written as background information is in fact, accurate.

I plan to include an acknowledgements page at the end of the novel.

My question = how crucial is having this list already prepared at the query and inital submission phases? Will an agent ask at such an early stage, have you fact-checked everything you wrote in your novel?

Thanks in advance for any answers or suggestions,
Ellis

Collectonian

Re: Acknowledgements, at which stage?

Post by Collectonian » July 5th, 2011, 9:26 am

If it is fiction, I think it would be rare for them to even ask if you've fact checked anything.

From what I've heard, the publisher will ask if you have any acknowledgments to includes before its released, which would be after revisions and not. So it isn't critical to have it available when you start your querying.

Nathan Bransford

Re: Acknowledgements, at which stage?

Post by Nathan Bransford » July 7th, 2011, 2:40 am

For fiction, yeah, I don't think you'll need to prove anything as fact.

And I don't personally turn in acknowledgements until my editor asks for them. They're kind of premature until the book is going to be published.