First Chapter Books, Beginning Readers, Young Readers??

Questions for the resident (former) agent
magshattertales

First Chapter Books, Beginning Readers, Young Readers??

Post by magshattertales » October 7th, 2010, 12:00 am

Hi Nathan,

I'm so glad I found this forum. Yay! I just finished my third manuscript in what I hope will become a chapter book sequel for girls. First question, what in the world is the appropriate way to address my genre? My daughter, her teacher, and I have always referred to the five to eight/nine year old market as "First Chapter Books". However, trying to network on Twitter, Blogs, JacketFlap, or similar sites, very little references to the this term. I'm working on my very first query letter and would appreciate clarification prior to submitting.

My second question is in regards to sequels. I realize a series can be a challenge to pitch to agents. With this in mind, my first manuscript is capable of being submitted as a sequel or stand alone. My fear is overwhelming the agent. Any feedback you are able to provide would be very awesome.

Thanks!
Magda Aulls
Children's Writer

Nathan Bransford

Re: First Chapter Books, Beginning Readers, Young Readers??

Post by Nathan Bransford » October 7th, 2010, 12:10 am

On question one, just so happens that the Guide to Literary Agents blog has an interview with Jen Rofe at the Andrea Brown agency, and she has a great definition of early readers vs. chapter books:
JR: In a nutshell: Early Readers = Frog and Toad and Elephant and Piggie. Chapter books = Judy Moody and Ivy and Bean. Think of the stages of development in this order: picture books lead to early readers, which lead to chapter books (which lead to middle grade....).
Question 2: http://blog.nathanbransford.com/2007/07 ... query.html

magshattertales

Post by magshattertales » October 7th, 2010, 12:51 am

I'm not sure how I missed Jen Rofe's interview. I am a pretty religious follower of that particular blog. Thanks so much for the resources! They are exactly what I've been searching for. I now have two less things to stress over on this crazy journey.
Magda Aulls
Children's Writer

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » October 7th, 2010, 12:59 am

magshattertales wrote:I'm not sure how I missed Jen Rofe's interview. I am a pretty religious follower of that particular blog. Thanks so much for the resources! They are exactly what I've been searching for. I now have two less things to stress over on this crazy journey.
The interview went up just like a half hour ago so it was fortuitous timing. Best of luck!