Mention that an editor is considering in the query?

Questions for the resident (former) agent
Cath

Mention that an editor is considering in the query?

Post by Cath » October 4th, 2010, 12:07 am

Dear Nathan,
An editorial director that I met at a conference asked to see my manuscript "sooner, rather than later" in a recent email. She knows I've just started to seek representation, as her house only looks at agented work. Is it appropriate to start off a query to an agent by mentioning this, giving her name and publishing house?

As excited as I am about her interest, I want to be sure this wouldn't be considered tacky, name-dropping, or just generally ill-advised.

Thanks for your hilarious and heartfelt advice on this blog,
C
Last edited by Nathan Bransford on October 4th, 2010, 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed title

Nathan Bransford

Re: Name dropping in a query letter

Post by Nathan Bransford » October 4th, 2010, 9:54 pm

Cath wrote:Dear Nathan,
An editorial director that I met at a conference asked to see my manuscript "sooner, rather than later" in a recent email. She knows I've just started to seek representation, as her house only looks at agented work. Is it appropriate to start off a query to an agent by mentioning this, giving her name and publishing house?

As excited as I am about her interest, I want to be sure this wouldn't be considered tacky, name-dropping, or just generally ill-advised.

Thanks for your hilarious and heartfelt advice on this blog,
C
Yes, I would mention it in the query.