Questions re: querying trilogies, scripts, illustrations

Questions for the resident (former) agent
Guardian

Questions re: querying trilogies, scripts, illustrations

Post by Guardian » October 1st, 2010, 9:09 pm

Hi Nathan,

How should I present a trilogy in a query when each of the volumes are capable to stand on their own, but all three is telling the whole story. I know you wrote about this...
http://blog.nathanbransford.com/2010/03 ... quels.html

But in my case the trilogy is not a possibility as it's existing. I know. I should take a lock to my mouth. But my greatest concern is... the agent will recognize this immediately from the ending and the cliffhanger, regardless the story of that volume is ended. So the ending is screaming for the sequel regardless the main arc of that volume is finished. Right now I believe if I don't add the detail about the trilogy into the query, the surprise what the ending may cause can kill my chances. But if I add it into the query, that's also killing my chances.

My second question...
My WIP is much more than a novel because of some strange development circumstances (The development of this world is started as a miniseries in the past). Should I mention this in the query or not as the scripts are also existing, but some agent gave me the advice in the past to write the prequel of that story first as a novel and publish it to give a proper background for the miniseries (Which would be the sequel of this trilogy.). I also read that in one of blog entries that agents don't like when people are trying to promise everything in a query to sell their script (I can agree with this). But as these things already exist, these are not promises, but they're an existing part of this world. So I don't have a clue how to handle this detail in the query. Do you have any advice for this?

My third question is...
Illustrations in a novel. I'm also a graphic artist and I created some detailed illustrations for this novel (The illustrations also has a role.), some illustrations about the MC and about few other things. Is it possible to present them to the agent IF they're already accepted the manuscript (I guess it's not the best if we're telling about the illustrations in the query.)?

And my last question...
My WIP is about angels and demons, but not on the traditional way at all. So Christianity, Judaism and any other religion is not playing any part in this novel... which is not entirely true as everyone may find something in it from their own belief and culture. As people used to connect these creatures to the well known religions, how should I mention, or should I mention at all that it's a completely independent product and it's not advertising, it's not taking place and it's not representing any of them in a negative light. People used to be sensitive in this matter, so I'm intending to be cautious to not offend anyone, even if this topic is appearing in a query and regarding a fantasy novel.

Thank you for your time,

Regards,

Guardian

Nathan Bransford

Re: Query questions

Post by Nathan Bransford » October 2nd, 2010, 1:33 pm

Guardian wrote:Hi Nathan,

How should I present a trilogy in a query when each of the volumes are capable to stand on their own, but all three is telling the whole story. I know you wrote about this...
http://blog.nathanbransford.com/2010/03 ... quels.html

But in my case the trilogy is not a possibility as it's existing. I know. I should take a lock to my mouth. But my greatest concern is... the agent will recognize this immediately from the ending and the cliffhanger, regardless the story of that volume is ended. So the ending is screaming for the sequel regardless the main arc of that volume is finished. Right now I believe if I don't add the detail about the trilogy into the query, the surprise what the ending may cause can kill my chances. But if I add it into the query, that's also killing my chances.
Well, I think you know where I stand - I recommend that the first book in a series can stand alone and that you only think of it as a series and end with a cliffhanger if the publisher is on board. But if you wrote the book you wanted to write then just go ahead and query it.
Guardian wrote: My second question...
My WIP is much more than a novel because of some strange development circumstances (The development of this world is started as a miniseries in the past). Should I mention this in the query or not as the scripts are also existing, but some agent gave me the advice in the past to write the prequel of that story first as a novel and publish it to give a proper background for the miniseries (Which would be the sequel of this trilogy.). I also read that in one of blog entries that agents don't like when people are trying to promise everything in a query to sell their script (I can agree with this). But as these things already exist, these are not promises, but they're an existing part of this world. So I don't have a clue how to handle this detail in the query. Do you have any advice for this?
I wouldn't mention it. I have to admit that I'm a bit skeptical of novels converted from screenplays -- they tend to read like screenplays. (Not always, obviously). But more importantly, the origin story for a novel isn't really important for a query. You're just trying to sell the agent on the first novel. Leave the other stuff for later.
Guardian wrote: My third question is...
Illustrations in a novel. I'm also a graphic artist and I created some detailed illustrations for this novel (The illustrations also has a role.), some illustrations about the MC and about few other things. Is it possible to present them to the agent IF they're already accepted the manuscript (I guess it's not the best if we're telling about the illustrations in the query.)?
I wouldn't mention it. Leave it to discuss later. Sometimes publishers want to hire their own illustrator, sometimes it's not practical to have illustrations, sometimes yes, the author's illustrations add to it. But unless this is a graphic novel, the illustrations are something that can be discussed later.
Guardian wrote: And my last question...
My WIP is about angels and demons, but not on the traditional way at all. So Christianity, Judaism and any other religion is not playing any part in this novel... which is not entirely true as everyone may find something in it from their own belief and culture. As people used to connect these creatures to the well known religions, how should I mention, or should I mention at all that it's a completely independent product and it's not advertising, it's not taking place and it's not representing any of them in a negative light. People used to be sensitive in this matter, so I'm intending to be cautious to not offend anyone, even if this topic is appearing in a query and regarding a fantasy novel.
I'm confused already, so I wouldn't get into this in the query.

Guardian

Re: Questions re: querying trilogies, scripts, illustrations

Post by Guardian » October 2nd, 2010, 2:32 pm

Well, I think you know where I stand - I recommend that the first book in a series can stand alone and that you only think of it as a series and end with a cliffhanger if the publisher is on board. But if you wrote the book you wanted to write then just go ahead and query it.
We separated the original novel to three volumes because of it's length.
I have to admit that I'm a bit skeptical of novels converted from screenplays -- they tend to read like screenplays.
I agree with this. In our case the novel is not a conversion. The novel and the miniseries is telling two different stories, but they're part of the very same universe and has the very same main character. The novel is playing before the miniseries.
I wouldn't mention it. Leave it to discuss later. Sometimes publishers want to hire their own illustrator, sometimes it's not practical to have illustrations, sometimes yes, the author's illustrations add to it. But unless this is a graphic novel, the illustrations are something that can be discussed later.
Understood.

Thank you very much for your answers. I appreciate your help.