The guilt of being a non-published fiction writer

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Don Zolidis

Re: The guilt of being a non-published fiction writer

Post by Don Zolidis » June 9th, 2012, 12:11 am

I think we're all just worried about being taken as pretentious posers. There are plenty of people who say they're writers who aren't actually writing anything, and they give all the rest of us a bad name.

But I hate to break it to you - it never ends, even if you are published. Here's how it goes with me:

Person A: What do you do?
Me: I'm a playwright.
Person A: (immediately perks up) Oh wow. What have you written that I've seen?
Me: (tears out hair.)

And here's the next kicker: Let's say you get so successful that you're the next Stephen King, so that when someone asks you that question you have a ready answer. Then, at the height of your popularity, all the "writers" and posers out there will hate you just because you're successful and look down on you.

Amy Moran

Re: The guilt of being a non-published fiction writer

Post by Amy Moran » June 11th, 2012, 2:05 pm

It is definitely not in your head.

I've always loved writing and have written novels for decades, but only a few very close friends knew how much time or thought I spent on it. I have a successful accounting career, but all I really want is to be a published writer.

Recently I started a blog and share it on Facebook, and I feel I've come out of a closet. Suddenly my family and friends and even general acquaintances know that I spend much of my time in a dream world that doesn't exist and doesn't put dinner on the table. I can't help but feel that if I were published that this selfish "hobby" would be justifiable, but most of the time I think I'm much more likely to be struck by lightning.