Your Favorite Book on the Craft

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
nielsencl

Re: Your Favorite Book on the Craft

Post by nielsencl » February 17th, 2012, 9:22 pm

How to Write Science Fiction & Fantasy
by Orson Scott Card

This is the first and only book I have read about writing, but I think there is much for even non-sci-fi writers to enjoy.

In reading this book I felt if I had sat down with Card and listened as he gave me personal advice. He also shares authors he admires and discusses their different styles.

Schussman

Post by Schussman » February 18th, 2012, 5:58 pm

Couldn't resist this subject!

I loved Stephan King's "On Writing" also. It was informative and a great read.

Mira

Post by Mira » February 19th, 2012, 5:36 pm

polymath wrote:What I'd like to read is a comprehensive theory of voice. Some great tidbits I've picked up here and there, most from Seymour Chatman's Story and Discourse. Discourse, of course, is voice in part for the D in SPICED: Setting, Plot, Idea, Character, Event, and Discourse.

Maybe I should write one. Linguistics, semiotics, semnatics, and narrative theory as they apply to voice. What can be taught, what can be learned, what can be developed, what can be invented, what can only be discovered.
I'm thinking of writing a book on voice, too. Well, maybe a phamlet. It would be very different from yours - more about what writers need to do to develop their voice, which I believe is more a psychological process than a writing one......I think......

Maybe we should team up, Polymath. ;)