What is your writing weakness? (Let's call this therapy)

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Starchaser3000

Re: What is your writing weakness? (Let's call this therapy)

Post by Starchaser3000 » February 18th, 2012, 7:36 pm

I like to use the words and, then, moment, look, a little too much. I overuse adjectives and adverbs a lot as well.

writersink

Post by writersink » February 19th, 2012, 9:50 am

Starchaser3000 wrote:I like to use the words and, then, moment, look, a little too much. I overuse adjectives and adverbs a lot as well.
I over use the words "and then" and I got told off because it was too telling and is sloppy writing.

Starchaser3000

Post by Starchaser3000 » February 19th, 2012, 1:34 pm

Yeah me too. I have been told that I have a good imagination but my writing still needs some progressive honing. Being that I don't consider myself an English literary expert anyway I took it as a fair compliment.

ladymarella

Post by ladymarella » February 19th, 2012, 6:11 pm

I think I overuse the phrase 'Of course'
I just posted in the' what we do well;' thread, interior monologue, but sometimes I wonder if that could be a weakness as well. I guess a lot of it depends on the reader, and how much monologue they like, compared to dialogue, and I do try and do an even mix of both, I just get carried away with the monologue.
Currently composing a sprawling family saga set in 19th century England
The world may be divided into people that read, people that write, people that think, and fox-hunters.'- William Shenstone,

bcomet

Post by bcomet » February 20th, 2012, 3:30 am

My biggest weakness, to date, is the failure to sell/market myself. I know. I know. But it is where I need my most help!

LiteraryEllyMay

Post by LiteraryEllyMay » February 24th, 2012, 2:44 pm

trixie wrote:5. "Dialogue tags," she said.
LOL This, this, and this.

I've got several recurring weaknesses (inability to Finish.Thedamn.Work!, getting distracted by shiny new story ideas, getting bogged down in "Why exactly did I want to tell this story again? What real value does it give...?") but those are really just symptoms, when I get down to it. My sickness is a lack of self-confidence. I jump around because I lose confidence in *THIS* story and think maybe *THAT* story will be A Worthy Story To Tell (Which Won't Embarrass Me Later). While I'm writing, I believe in my characters, believe in my plot, have gotten feedback from others that my ideas are unique and the writing sound. But when it comes to actually putting it out into the world, letting my fledgling story test its little paper wings...suddenly there are a few more things that need polishing first. Or maybe I should just sit on it for a while longer b/c, you know, that ending doesn't really...uh...doesn't FEEL right, yeah that's it. I'll just work on it a bit more...*bites fingers nervously to the quick*.

Pretty sad, really. It would seem I have a case of Literary Anxiety. :roll:

Falen

Post by Falen » February 26th, 2012, 3:02 pm

duplicate post - look away!
Last edited by Falen on February 26th, 2012, 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"She said she cried at least once each day not because she was sad, but because the world was so beautiful and life was so short." - Brian Andreas

me bloggy - http://www.falenformulatesfiction.blogspot.com

Falen

Post by Falen » February 26th, 2012, 3:03 pm

LiteraryEllyMay wrote: I've got several recurring weaknesses (inability to Finish.Thedamn.Work!, getting distracted by shiny new story ideas, getting bogged down in "Why exactly did I want to tell this story again? What real value does it give...?") but those are really just symptoms, when I get down to it. My sickness is a lack of self-confidence. I jump around because I lose confidence in *THIS* story and think maybe *THAT* story will be A Worthy Story To Tell (Which Won't Embarrass Me Later).

Question for you: Are you a pantser or a plotter?

I only ask because i used to have this problem too, a long time ago back when i would pants everything. But then when i started to plan out my stories and use outlines (really just a list of scenes) i no longer had that problem.
"She said she cried at least once each day not because she was sad, but because the world was so beautiful and life was so short." - Brian Andreas

me bloggy - http://www.falenformulatesfiction.blogspot.com

jojocookie

Post by jojocookie » March 2nd, 2012, 9:51 am

Keeping at it.

Then everyone tells me they feel ignored, neglected and are mad at me.