The Bransforumfest Writing Retreat

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Sommer Leigh

Re: The Bransforumfest Writing Retreat

Post by Sommer Leigh » January 16th, 2012, 10:39 am

ATTENTION

For those of you coming to Vegas FOR SURE, and this is particularly true of anyone not on the planning committee who I haven't spoken to yet about your plans:

Please email me at tellgreatstories@yahoo.com as soon as possible to let me know you are definately coming, whether you are staying at the hotel, and as soon as you know, what time you are landing in Las Vegas on Sunday. I'm trying to put together a good idea of our itinerary for Sunday.

Again, email me at tellgreatstories@yahoo.com if you are not on the planning committee.

Also, I'd like this information:

I addition to letting me know your arrival times in Las Vegas, please give me your top 3 things you want to do in Vegas.

This does not include writing or any of the discussions we have planned. Name any other 3 things - be as specific ("I want to eat at ___ resteraunt." "I want to shop at the LUSH store." "I want to take a picture at the Bellagio fountain just like at the end of Ocean's Eleven!") or as generic ("I want to see some of the free/cheap exhibits at the strip hotels." "I want to lounge by the pool." "I want to see the desert. Any part of the desert.") Just name your top 3 things that are on your goal list, whether the whole group or part of the group or no one goes with you.

If you have more than 3 things, feel free to include them all! But I'd like to get at least 3 things from everyone.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » January 20th, 2012, 8:33 am

If you are attending the BrandforumFest Writing Retreat, we've created a registration page to collect info on everyone coming. The info will help us plan for how many are attending, the timeline, and what everyone's preferences are. If you are DEFINATELY coming, and you've booked your hotel and flight, please fill out this form:

http://bransforumfest.eventbrite.com/

What is the ticket option for those not attending the retreat?
Throughout the retreat we are going to attempt to host one or two Live Chats and Twitter Chats and if you'd like to be involved when those happen, signing up for a non-attending ticket will get you on the mailing list to receive an email notice when/if/how those chats will occur. This email list will only last until March 9th, at which time all email addresses will be deleted and you will not receive another email from us concerning the retreat. If you'd like to be alerted of these chats, fill out the short registration for "Not Attending - Email Alerts Only". We'll also post an announcement here on the boards.

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » January 23rd, 2012, 9:22 am

We have 5 people officially confirmed for the BransforumFest Writing Retreat!

Sommer Leigh
Claudie
Dios4vida
Beethovenfan
Margo

Once you know your flight and hotel info (or whatever travel arrangements you're making) please register here: http://bransforumfest.eventbrite.com/

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » January 30th, 2012, 4:11 pm

We currently have 7 people confirmed for the writing retreat! I'm so excited I could scream. And dance. Maybe both.

Once you know your flight and hotel info (or whatever travel arrangements you're making) please register here: http://bransforumfest.eventbrite.com/

Claudie

Post by Claudie » January 30th, 2012, 11:46 pm

Sommer, we had complications (lots of them) in the reservation and my flight details have changed from what I registered. Do you want me to re-register, e-mail you the new info or just leave it as is?
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » January 31st, 2012, 7:54 am

Claudie wrote:Sommer, we had complications (lots of them) in the reservation and my flight details have changed from what I registered. Do you want me to re-register, e-mail you the new info or just leave it as is?
You can either send me your new info and I'll try to edit it (not sure if I can) or you can reregister and I'll delete your first one. Whatever works easiest for you.

Mira

Post by Mira » February 6th, 2012, 4:07 pm

So, sadly, it turns out I can't come - we have an audit at work scheduled for that week. I'm pretty disappointed, but I will definitely be there in spirit!

Was it my imagination, or did I see something being set up for those who can't attend.....maybe it was my imagination, but if it wasn't, please let me know!

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » February 6th, 2012, 4:51 pm

Mira wrote:So, sadly, it turns out I can't come - we have an audit at work scheduled for that week. I'm pretty disappointed, but I will definitely be there in spirit!

Was it my imagination, or did I see something being set up for those who can't attend.....maybe it was my imagination, but if it wasn't, please let me know!
Aw, man! That stinks. I was hoping you'd be able to make it. :(

We have some people who are going to Skype in, so we'll be setting that up somehow. (I'm not sure who's in charge of that right now, but since I have no idea how Skype works it's definitely not me.) We've also talked about having a kind of live chat or other thing to catch people up on what's happening during the week. Sommer put in a section on the eventbrite registration for those who can't come but want updates, so I'd say put your name in there and we'll get you connected somehow!
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Claudie

Post by Claudie » February 7th, 2012, 12:06 am

I should have my computer with Skype, so unless there is sudden problems with my webcams, I should be able to Skype with people. I don't think it's possible to do more than one at the same time, though we could set two computers close by?

What needs to be planned on the Skype front is when, mostly. More on that once we get a schedule for the first few days.
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

Heather B

Post by Heather B » February 11th, 2012, 2:56 am

Wow I'm jealous I'm not going :( You guys should be doing this in August/September when I'll have a free trip over there with work.

Would have loved to meet you guys :)
Journey to the Cuckoo's Nest

http://heathermbryant.blogspot.com.au/

Mira

Post by Mira » February 13th, 2012, 7:08 pm

Brenda - thank you! I wish I could go too!!!!

I don't have Skype or a camera, but if you set up a chat, please let me know. I'd love to join in, if able. I also wonder if you guys are considering video taping some speakers?

trixie

Post by trixie » February 15th, 2012, 10:30 pm

Hey gang!

Here's the working schedule for our trip to Vegas. I'm still waiting on a few session descriptions, but this should give everyone a general idea. The sessions WILL NOT last the full three hours. I simply made the blocks that long so we can have adequate time to talk shop and cover any QA.

Any issues, please let me know. This is NOT FINAL. The final schedule will be in the folder that you will receive upon arrival.

**EDITED 2/24/12**

Sunday, March 4 Arrive/check-in
Monday, March 5

9:00am – 12:00pm Session one: Character Development, Claudie
This is possibly moving to after dinner on Monday, 3/5. Stay tuned.

1:30pm – 4:30pm Session two: Dialogue, Margo
An exercise in trying out and combining different dialogue styles. Bring pages from your WIP or most recent work. We want something with lots of dialogue.

Tuesday, March 6

9:00am – 12:00pm Session three: Editing, Nicole
The editing session will focus on techniques, tips and exercises to help you address: 1) Plot Editing, 2) Character Editing and 3) Line Editing. You can also ask process questions and review specific sections of your WIP.

1:30pm – 4:30pm Session four: Critique groups

Wednesday, March 7

9:00am – 12:00pm Session five: Story, Brenda
Using information from Story Engineering by Larry Brooks, we'll cover the elements that make a story work, what he calls the Six Core Competencies, and focus on the structure of a story. We'll explore when to add danger, increase tension, change things for the hero, and make the antagonist raise their ugly head.

1:30pm – 4:30pm Session six: Open writing time or possible desert excursion

Thursday, March 8

9:00am – 12:00pm Session seven: Prose/Description, Margo
An exercise in grounding your prose and description in your character's point of view. Bring a page or two of your project (finished or in progress) containing a passage or a few passages of description or exposition--just about anything but dialogue.

1:30pm – 4:30pm Session eight: Free writing time

Friday, March 9 Depart
Last edited by trixie on February 24th, 2012, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » February 17th, 2012, 12:53 pm

trixie wrote:...the working schedule for our trip to Vegas.
Looks great!! <tries to contain squee of excitement>

How are we scheduling the games, do you know?
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » February 17th, 2012, 1:56 pm

Would it be helpful to ask the presenters of those workshop items to narrow down how long they think it'll take, that way if we want to have fun and games or random writing stuff after the workshop is over those who aren't attending them will know when to show up?

I think we'll probably do a lot of the planning while we are in Vegas, but it might be nice to see where we'll have some empty time.

trixie

Post by trixie » February 24th, 2012, 2:18 pm

I edited the schedule earlier in this thread. FYI.