Most efficient mode of outlining?

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Dave2010

Re: Most efficient mode of outlining?

Post by Dave2010 » November 5th, 2011, 5:30 pm

I think I have a formula that some here may benefit from.

I personally have agonized over whether to outline or not, especially since some of my favorite authors are on record as Not outlining. But I realize that without a map, novel writing can take much longer than necessary. So here's the formula I've devised that works for me.

-Establish opening situation (what if...?)
-Then move directly to: Establishing Ending (what would be the most interesting outcome of my "what if" be?)
Now start writing!
-Write your middle conflicts (come up with interesting ways to get to your planned ending)
Now here's the beauty part...
-Now that you have your opening situation, conflict journey, and planned ending...Betray Yourself! Take your Ending and flip the table over by adding A Final Twist. The key here is to NOT EVEN CONSIDER the final twist until you're done writing everything else. Write to your BEST ABILITY to make your "planned ending" exciting/interesting. RELY on your planned ending. Treat your final twist as dessert that you don't even get to eat/consider before finishing your main meal (veggies,etc.).

This formula preserves the spontaneity and sense of self-surprise so many of us need, while giving us enough structure to more rapidly propel ourselves forward toward finishing our novel.

It may not be for you, but it works for me. Good luck all!

shinesteak

Post by shinesteak » November 5th, 2011, 10:10 pm

I am an uber free-writer, like you would not believe. When I start writing, I know what happens at the beginning of the story.

Yeah. The beginning. That's it.

Now, as I go, I figure out what my characters have going on in their lives, what the main objective is, etc. I never write it down because if I do, I know it will mess me up. I just know where the story is headed after the first few chapters and start working towards it.

As a result of my insane free-writerness, I start a lot of stories. I don't finish nearly as many as I start because sometimes I find that there just isn't anything there. I met a character, learned about their life, (and wrote it to stop them yelling at me,) and that was it. No novel. No moving dramatic subplots. Just a few chapters of Hello, how are you? My name is Joe and I'm an accountant.

This isn't for everyone, obviously. Some people have to plan. I'm just one of the ones who can't. :D
What's the point in living if you can't have fun doing it?

http://crazywriters.freeforums.org/

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » November 5th, 2011, 10:25 pm

shinesteak wrote:I am an uber free-writer, like you would not believe. When I start writing, I know what happens at the beginning of the story.

Yeah. The beginning. That's it.
This is me! I'm working on revisions for it right now. This story, although totally free written, just came together so well. I'm really happy with how its turning out.

I support the free writers!

Outliners, I support you, but I just can't do it.

CV