Formatting manuscript for Kindle?

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Sleeping Beauty

Formatting manuscript for Kindle?

Post by Sleeping Beauty » September 28th, 2011, 12:53 am

This may be the stupidest question ever, but I've just had a full manuscript request and the agent asked to specifically send it "so I can read it on my Kindle."

So, my question: do I have to change to standard formatting at all to make it viewable on a Kindle or other e-reader? Is there some sort of specific format I need to adhere too? Especially with regards to indents - I really don't want to MS to come out looking all blocky.

polymath

Re: Formatting manuscript for Kindle?

Post by polymath » September 28th, 2011, 8:00 am

Besides MOBI and PRC, Kindle supports TXT, plain text files, and PDF. Adobe Acrobat's portable document format. Word, WordPerfect, and OpenOffice have export-save to PDF application plugins. They install with Word and WordPerfect. OpenOffice's PDF app is an addon.

The advantage PDF has over TXT is PDF preserves special formatting, italics, bold, selected typeface, special glyphs. TXT only supports standard keyboard glyphs and formatting. Tabbed indents are standard keyboard indents in any word processor application. Not supported in HTML, though.
Last edited by polymath on September 28th, 2011, 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spread the love of written word.

cheekychook

Post by cheekychook » September 28th, 2011, 10:19 am

I've read lots of PDF files on my Kindle and have also swapped PDF copies of my manuscript with critique partners to be read on each other's Kindles. If the agent asked for this I'm sure he/she knows how to put a PDF on his/her Kindle. Just to be safe I'd include a note in the email that says "If you would prefer a different format or have difficulty with this file, please let me know and I'll gladly resubmit." As long as the agent knows you're trying to be accommodating, you should be fine. And don't worry too much about formatting---lots of agents choose to read on their phones and are willing to forgo formatting for the convenience of reading on a portable device---it won't take "points" away from your manuscript.

Congrats on the full request! Good luck!
http://www.karenstivali.com

Passionate Plume 1st Place Winner 2012 - ALWAYS YOU
Published with Ellora's Cave, Turquoise Morning Press & Samhain Publishing

Sleeping Beauty

Post by Sleeping Beauty » September 30th, 2011, 3:54 am

Thanks poly and cheeky! It's all sent off now, so no more worries. :D