Just how good are YOUR first 250 words?

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Writecastlesinthesky

Re: Just how good are YOUR first 250 words?

Post by Writecastlesinthesky » July 25th, 2011, 3:02 pm

This is fantastic! Post Toasties Post Toasties Post Toasties....giving up now. Mouth hurts.

wordranger

Post by wordranger » July 25th, 2011, 9:49 pm

I'd actually prefer some Golden Grahms, but yeah, it's not as fun to say as "Post Toasties".
Words are your friend.
Don't be afraid to lose yourself in them.

Jennifer Eaton, WordRanger
My Novelette LAST WINTER RED will be published by J. Taylor Publishing in December, 2012

Take a Step into My World and Learn From My Mistakes http://www.jennifermeaton.com/

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » July 25th, 2011, 11:24 pm

wordranger wrote:I'd actually prefer some Golden Grahms, but yeah, it's not as fun to say as "Post Toasties".
I LOVE GOLDEN GRAHMS. Oh my goodness. Like with all of my soul!

CV

Watcher55

Post by Watcher55 » July 26th, 2011, 9:29 am

:oops: Now that I've managed to totally derail this thread - about that contest...

polymath

Post by polymath » July 26th, 2011, 10:34 am

In the interests of contest participants' time budgets and potentially maximizing results, among other factors, what about a twenty-five word contest?

One appreciable consideration is recognizing commenters are as likely to gain insights as writers entering samples for comment. Shorter entries might encourage enthusiastic participation from both approaches. Besides, what better way to exercise writing and evaluation muscles than with a close focus on minutia?

For comparison purposes, Ernest Hemingway's famous microfiction saga: "For sale: baby shoes; never worn." I could comment about that at considerable length.
Spread the love of written word.

Writecastlesinthesky

Post by Writecastlesinthesky » July 28th, 2011, 8:57 am

Twenty-five words on your blog, start tomorrow go through Monday? Post link here?

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » July 28th, 2011, 1:34 pm

How about we start a thread in the password protected forum? It seems easier than having to go to everyone's blog...

CV

washingtonwriter1968

Post by washingtonwriter1968 » July 28th, 2011, 4:30 pm

Please extend the time to say next week! I am on Vacation this weekend. or maybe do it for two weekends in a row!!!! Please :D
Washington Writer
Thx 4 your time
http://washington1968.livejournal.com/

wordranger

Post by wordranger » July 28th, 2011, 8:19 pm

CharleeVale wrote:How about we start a thread in the password protected forum? It seems easier than having to go to everyone's blog...
Sounds like fun! How would we do that?
Words are your friend.

My Novelette LAST WINTER RED will be published by J. Taylor Publishing in December, 2012

Take a Step into My World and Learn From My Mistakes http://www.jennifermeaton.com/

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » July 28th, 2011, 8:58 pm

I'm not sure...if it's a contest then there has to be prizes and a judge...

CV

polymath

Post by polymath » July 28th, 2011, 9:42 pm

Perhaps a contest in the sense of the ancient Attic Orators' competitions? An antagoniste on his own initiative stands upon a block in the public forum and speaks his piece. Spectators might gather and listen, judge, and remark to each other on the caliber of the speaker's argument, style, craft, voice, decorum, etc. Over the course of time, everyone who dared speak on a topic is heard. Eventually, spectators decide among themselves, or individually privately, who is most on point and gave the best delivery, proclaiming him the protagoniste, or champion of the contest, and literally or figuratively crowning him with a laurel.

It was fluid. Many topics were discussed at the same time in the public forum. Spectators followed their own sentiments in their own times and according to their inclinations, as did the Orators.

Perhaps one of the more interesting aspects is the Orators carried on drawn-out conversations, albeit dramatic monologues, over the course of hours, days, weeks, and years. One Orator would give his view. Another would respond after some degree of deliberation. Others would join the conversation if it was a popular topic. The byplay would carry on until they'd exhausted the topic and/or spectators' attentions turned elsewhere.

My gosh, isn't that the way Bransforums are anyway? For that matter, all of public discourse today?

So go ahead, post away wherever appropriate, see if you draw any spectators, encourage commentary. You might start something profound. And have fun.
Spread the love of written word.

Writecastlesinthesky

Post by Writecastlesinthesky » July 29th, 2011, 11:34 am

polymath wrote:Perhaps a contest in the sense of the ancient Attic Orators' competitions? An antagoniste on his own initiative stands upon a block in the public forum and speaks his piece. Spectators might gather and listen, judge, and remark to each other on the caliber of the speaker's argument, style, craft, voice, decorum, etc. Over the course of time, everyone who dared speak on a topic is heard. Eventually, spectators decide among themselves, or individually privately, who is most on point and gave the best delivery, proclaiming him the protagoniste, or champion of the contest, and literally or figuratively crowning him with a laurel.

It was fluid. Many topics were discussed at the same time in the public forum. Spectators followed their own sentiments in their own times and according to their inclinations, as did the Orators.

Perhaps one of the more interesting aspects is the Orators carried on drawn-out conversations, albeit dramatic monologues, over the course of hours, days, weeks, and years. One Orator would give his view. Another would respond after some degree of deliberation. Others would join the conversation if it was a popular topic. The byplay would carry on until they'd exhausted the topic and/or spectators' attentions turned elsewhere.

My gosh, isn't that the way Bransforums are anyway? For that matter, all of public discourse today?

So go ahead, post away wherever appropriate, see if you draw any spectators, encourage commentary. You might start something profound. And have fun.
Polymath's comment is 240 words. Not to long, methinks. I'm posting a new thread. I agree that the potential to learn from what is posted reflects the original spirit of this idea from Jen, back on page one. I want to see what other people are working on. And I don't eat Toasties. Certainly if something is posted that is spectacular beyond belief I imagine a line of smilies will suffice for prizes. Deal or no deal?

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » July 29th, 2011, 11:59 pm

MyJuliet wrote:In addition, authonomy and other online venues. I find one aspect of the proposed novel or a fiction of my title, and is a clever narrative from the start off the distance.
Can you clarify...I'm not sure I understand...

CV

Sanderling

Post by Sanderling » July 30th, 2011, 12:54 am

CharleeVale wrote:
MyJuliet wrote:In addition, authonomy and other online venues. I find one aspect of the proposed novel or a fiction of my title, and is a clever narrative from the start off the distance.
Can you clarify...I'm not sure I understand...

CV
I think it's a spambot, Charlee... joined today, made three posts, none of which are completely coherent.
My blog / Twitter
"Because if you have at least a modicum of talent and if you live by these six rules, you will make it."
--Robert J. Sawyer, speaking here of Heinlein's Rules.

wordranger

Post by wordranger » July 30th, 2011, 12:56 am

Glad it wasn't just me... I read that and though Whaaaaaaattt?????
Words are your friend.