Do you work on more than one book at a time?

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
chvyg80

Re: Do you work on more than one book at a time?

Post by chvyg80 » April 25th, 2011, 4:12 am

It depends on my mood. Right now, I have one MS that I'm not touching anymore, and several that I've started. One is a follow up to my completed project, the other is a completely different book (different genre, and target age group). I have ideas for the both of them, but sometimes I want to work on the other, just depends on my mood. I have my moments when I think I should focus on one at a time, but then I get writer's block.
Chavone
Chavone
"The pains and struggles of my past are what has made me the beautiful person I am today"

Chantelle.S.

Post by Chantelle.S. » June 5th, 2011, 4:11 pm

I do!
At the moment I'm jumping between five or six different manuscripts, all of them in different stages of the process.
One of them I have written before from start to finish over seven years ago, but when I recently (as in a couple of years ago) wanted to revise it, I found that all but the first page had been deleted. It was a pretty good story, because I can still recall intimate details of it, so it's worth rewriting. Another of the manuscripts is also a completed one that I need to rewrite into its second draft. The story is good because I haven't read a book quite like it before, but it needs a LOT of work.
The third of my manuscripts is my completed book in the series I'm working on. I need to draft it for a third time, but I can only do so when I'm working on the preceding book in the series (which is not even halfway yet) so I don't mess up the details. So essentially I'm working on two books at the same time for that project.
Then there's my Nano 2010 I'm still pretty determined to finish, at least.
Oh, and I've had this awesome plot bunny hop into my head a couple of months ago. It's been begging me to write it.

With all that said, I wouldn't recommend it. It is easier and much more straightforward when you focus on a single WIP, and you get it done a lot sooner. At this stage I think it's going to take me another two or three years before I've got my new manuscripts written, and my completed ones revised.
"Description begins in the writer’s imagination, but should finish in the reader’s." -Stephen King

http://smithee24.blogspot.com/
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1570694/Clairavance

Rosie Lane

Post by Rosie Lane » June 5th, 2011, 9:23 pm

I can only work on one book at a time, although I will do a short story or two when a draft is away with betas. I find it really difficult to switch between my character's heads, which is why I'm reluctant to take on the suggestion to introduce a second POV to the one I'm writing at the moment.

justcrash

Post by justcrash » June 8th, 2011, 10:09 am

Right now while I'm waiting on my first MS to cool off in a desk drawer before I start editing it, I've begun work on my second MS, but I don't think that's what you mean. Like others have said, I'm too ADD to allow myself the luxury of jumping around like that. :)
I finally have a website/blog! Check it out, I need the attention!

Follow me on Twitter! I will return the favor!

Watcher55

Post by Watcher55 » June 8th, 2011, 10:22 am

I only work on onebook at a time, but I do write essays and short stories while I'm doing that.