Need some Mojo

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Robin

Need some Mojo

Post by Robin » March 24th, 2011, 9:59 pm

I had to take a few weeks off to help my husband and now ugh, where do I start again? How do I go back to my MS? I re-read it and still can't find the juice to finish. I still have 4 chapters in the middle to write and the end to clean up. All together, about 15K words.

But where? How? I don't feel like I have anything left... HELP!!!

(thanks, I missed you guys)
Robin
"A glass slipper is only a shoe. Dreamers who only dream never have their dreams come true."

http://www.RobynLucas.com/

Mira

Re: Need some Mojo

Post by Mira » March 25th, 2011, 3:32 pm

Maybe you're just tired, Robin. Sometimes we really just need to rest and relax.

I recommend taking lots of naps and doing some fun things. After awhile, the motivation should return naturally.

If you think it's more about your WIP, then I might write something else for awhile and come back to it. Maybe you need a break.

Another tactic I've heard is to put your characters in funny situations and write their dialogue. You can fall in love with them that way.

But if it's really that you're tired - I hope you let yourself rest!

Margo

Post by Margo » March 25th, 2011, 4:57 pm

What inspired you to start the project in the first place?
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Mike R

Post by Mike R » March 25th, 2011, 6:34 pm

Use the carrot and the stick.

Set a goal, daily is probably best, that'll keep you from procrastinating. If you make the goal, treat yourself. If you don't use the stick.

Like a warm relaxing bubble-bath if you make it, cold shower if you don't.

mnaylor3

Post by mnaylor3 » March 25th, 2011, 9:28 pm

You don't need mojo at all.

Just write.

It might all look all wrong, but just go one word at a time until you're done. Get the draft done.

If you've been running on mojo for the entire story so far and now just ran out, you're really lucky and inspired.

JohnBarnes

Post by JohnBarnes » March 26th, 2011, 12:31 pm

Many pros do a "run-up." I.e., start the next draft, revise everything in the direction of good (even if at first all you can do is recast sentences and dump obvious digressions). You need to do that work anyway, and by the time you're at the end of revising, you'll know what goes in the holes.

Leila

Post by Leila » March 26th, 2011, 2:08 pm

Welcome back! I completely understand the needing to take time out to help others and it is most refreshing to re-enter the forumosphere. That was pretty much my life last year. I hope it was a productive time for you both.

Re your question, do you perhaps have a favorite part of the plot that might reenergize you if you revisit it? Or good people around you to discuss your next steps with? Sometimes I find even just thinking outloud helps.

And, of course, accompanying all these suggestions are huge slabs of chocolate!

Good luck picking up the energy thread. I'm sure you will be back in the groove before you know it!

Beethovenfan

Post by Beethovenfan » March 26th, 2011, 5:12 pm

Robin,
I have SO been where you are. It's a terrible feeling! I get amost panicky. Then when I sit down to write I cannot even force myself to think about it. But, I have found something that helps me (usually). I go somewhere, most often to a park or maybe a quiet drive in the car, and daydream about my work. I don't plan anything, I don't plot anything, I just think about the story I have so far, what it would be like to be one of the characters perhaps, or perhaps I'll just go over a favorite scene in my mind. Before long, I find myself beginning to plan and plot naturally. Things start coming to me on their own, and soon I can't wait to get home and write. This usually works. But sometimes I've had to do it a few times before my mind frees up enough to where my creative juices are flowing.

Hope that helps. Best of luck, and let us know how things turn out. :)
"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine."
~ Ludwig van Beethoven

Robin

Post by Robin » March 29th, 2011, 6:17 pm

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you for all of the suggestions.

The thing that worked the best: Sitting my butt in a chair and writing. That. Simple.
Robin
"A glass slipper is only a shoe. Dreamers who only dream never have their dreams come true."

http://www.RobynLucas.com/

mnaylor3

Post by mnaylor3 » March 29th, 2011, 7:34 pm

awesome.