Writing in a *done* genre

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Margo

Re: Writing in a *done* genre

Post by Margo » March 15th, 2011, 4:14 pm

Oh dear, polymath. Sometimes I think you know me in real life. If you were Welsh I'd be paranoid. Paranoider.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

polymath

Post by polymath » March 15th, 2011, 4:24 pm

Margo wrote:Oh dear, polymath. Sometimes I think you know me in real life. If you were Welsh I'd be paranoid. Paranoider.
You've given away enough cues for me to appreciate your personal and public identities. I don't know of any Welsh ancestors in my family tree. An Irish person or two, some German, Anglo, and Native American for sure.
Spread the love of written word.

Margo

Post by Margo » March 15th, 2011, 4:30 pm

polymath wrote:An Irish person or two, some German, Anglo, and Native American for sure.
Ah, interesting mix, not far from my maternal side (Irish, French, German, and Native American). I suspect some Scandinavian on my paternal side, but that's just speculation. So long as there's no Welsh - that person knows me too well. :) In some ways, anyway.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » March 16th, 2011, 1:23 pm

polymath wrote:
Margo wrote:Oh dear, polymath. Sometimes I think you know me in real life. If you were Welsh I'd be paranoid. Paranoider.
You've given away enough cues for me to appreciate your personal and public identities. I don't know of any Welsh ancestors in my family tree. An Irish person or two, some German, Anglo, and Native American for sure.
I think you're both adorable :-)

Here's my forum secret: Whenever Polymath explains something I don't quite understand but really really really want to, I wait a little while for Margo to reply because she's sort of my unoffial Poly-translator. Then my little light bulb goes on and I can join the conversation! I think we should give you guys away as a packaged set for Christmases and birthdays.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

polymath

Post by polymath » March 16th, 2011, 2:57 pm

Sommer Leigh wrote:
polymath wrote:
I think you're both adorable :-)

Here's my forum secret: Whenever Polymath explains something I don't quite understand but really really really want to, I wait a little while for Margo to reply because she's sort of my unoffial Poly-translator. Then my little light bulb goes on and I can join the conversation! I think we should give you guys away as a packaged set for Christmases and birthdays.
You're a dear, too, Sommer Leigh. And gosh, as much as participation mystique is a mystery to many writers, you-all sure know how to invoke it. It's basically intimately connecting readers to identifying with a circumstance, say a like-minded protagonist struggling with understanding the meaning of an insuperable problem so it may be resolved.

Coming soon to a nearby thread, Participation Mystique, the ultimate trump for writing in a done genre. I suspect discussing it will tax me to my limits. I welcome the challenge. I expect to learn something pivotal from doing so. I usually do.
Spread the love of written word.

Margo

Post by Margo » March 16th, 2011, 3:32 pm

Sommer Leigh wrote:I think you're both adorable :-)
Says my brilliant baby sister.
Sommer Leigh wrote:Here's my forum secret: Whenever Polymath explains something I don't quite understand but really really really want to, I wait a little while for Margo to reply because she's sort of my unoffial Poly-translator. Then my little light bulb goes on and I can join the conversation! I think we should give you guys away as a packaged set for Christmases and birthdays.
Poly-translator? I love that. Wish I actually could do that, more often than now and again.

But I love the idea of polymath and I as a packaged set. In matching Christmas sweaters, even. Sounds like the most twisted SNL skit EVAH!
polymath wrote:Coming soon to a nearby thread, Participation Mystique...
[taps foot, checks watch impatiently, and considers pulling a Cartman and having Butters freeze me so I don't have to suffer the wait]

Leila

Post by Leila » March 17th, 2011, 6:15 am

And as usual I arrive at the party when it's in full swing!!!

Wow, ok, to so backtrack a little...

abc - I'd say just write your story and don't worry about what else has been published in your genre. If the story is strong, has a unique edge to it and is at the right time in the market when you pitch it, it will hit the mark. I guess it comes back to the writing because you love it thing and enjoying enhancing your craft as you go.

Polymath, margo and sommer leigh - you guys are all too cute! Sommer leigh, I love your 'packaging' suggestion for polymath and margo, it's just brilliant, and so true!! The only thing I'd add is that sometimes you (sommer leigh) also shed some light for me on the polymath explanations, so apparently I've hit the trifecta! I love the discussions, I wish I could contribute more, but by the time I get online there are so many wonderful opinions expressed I just enjoy reading them, picking up tips and enjoying the banter.

Margo

Post by Margo » March 17th, 2011, 11:15 am

Leila wrote:...so apparently I've hit the trifecta!
LOL. I hope you got good odds. :)

Leila

Post by Leila » March 17th, 2011, 12:56 pm

Margo wrote:
Leila wrote:...so apparently I've hit the trifecta!
LOL. I hope you got good odds. :)
Sure did. You guys should charge a commission! lol