When to move on...

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Transitoria

Re: When to move on...

Post by Transitoria » January 14th, 2011, 6:55 pm

I love the first novel that I started and finished. I'm currently pitching queries and getting feedback on it, most of which is good, but not yet that sought-after yes. It was a story that haunted me until I wrote it. I'm glad I did and if it never gets published, I will be disappointed that I couldn't share it with the world, but I'll still be proud of the fact that I did write a story to the best of my ability and finished it. However, I think the next step in my growth as a writer is to write another book. It doesn't mean I'll love my first one any less, but it does mean that I can move forward and take the lessons learned and put them to use. In my own mind, I can't think of myself as a writer until I've finished at least one more novel. I can do anything once, but it takes real courage to do it a second time, knowing what I know now.

I currently have one full and one partial manuscript of MAN OF THE HOUSE with agents. I've also had two agents who after reading a partial and a full have rejected it. The majority have been positive. None have ripped it apart or told me to give up, so I find that encouraging.

Hopefully, my next novel will be even better.

MrsMojoRider

Re: When to move on...

Post by MrsMojoRider » January 25th, 2011, 5:13 pm

I am in this same spot too. I am going to rewrite. I know the story is excellent - I just have to tell it right. I am so glad I am not alone. But after three years writing (mostly in the summers only) and six months querying - I do feel a bit daunted that I am signing up for maybe another 1 - 2 years of writing - but I have to believe I will get it right this time.