The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
charlotte49ers

Re: Your Editing Tricks

Post by charlotte49ers » December 12th, 2010, 6:19 pm

I just go back and change stuff. Probably not the most scientific method. :D

sarahdee

Post by sarahdee » December 13th, 2010, 9:32 pm

charlotte49ers wrote:I just go back and change stuff. Probably not the most scientific method. :D
Oh thank god, I thought it was just me who kept it simple :)

If its definite edit (mistakes, typos) I just change. If its adding stuff I just add. If its a re-write I use the Word revision tool and then ask my beta readers so say which is better or re-read myself. Once I'm happy I accept all changes.

I have different versions backed up as I email to my hotmail in case of hard drive/flash drive crashes but its rare I got back to a previous version

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » December 14th, 2010, 11:53 am

Yes! To all of you who just said you edit without notes, I thought I was crazy.

CV

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » December 17th, 2010, 3:51 pm

I write my first draft in one big chunk - one document with no chapter breaks. I break up the chapters in my third (usually) draft. As I write I leave an extra hard return between the paragraphs to signify that I think it closes a "scene." Some of these become chapter breaks, others just scene breaks within the chapter.

When I finish everything, I read it through on the screen and fix anything I find.

Then I print it out and go through with a red pen. I have to do this, otherwise I just can't figure out what's wrong with anything. I take these edits and notes to myself and put it into a new save file, with the personal notes in "comment" mode on MS word. Once I finish all of those, it goes to my betas. They give me notes back and I fix again, rinse and repeat until we're all satisfied.

It's not a fancy system but it works. :)
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Mike R

Post by Mike R » December 17th, 2010, 11:11 pm

charlotte49ers wrote:I just go back and change stuff. Probably not the most scientific method. :D

Me too.

Though I've recently bought a book titled, 'Revising Fiction' by Kirt Hickman. I went to his workshop, well, part of it, and decided he might be onto something.

Of course now I have to read the thing and apply all the...stuff.

Just never ends.