Creator or Channel of Creation

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Margo

Re: Creator or Channel of Creation

Post by Margo » November 29th, 2010, 7:09 pm

Sommer Leigh wrote:I'm a Leo too! Now I see why I relate to you so well.
You wanna know what's scarier? We even kinda look alike.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

polymath

Post by polymath » November 29th, 2010, 7:39 pm

Subtle is as subtle does. It's one of my healthier coping mechanisms for coping with rejection and for testing the waters. Diving in head first hasn't served me well except when literally diving into the deep end of a body of water. As far as interpersonal relations are concerned diving in has been disastrous. I like to channel relationships first anymore, see where I'm at, slowly move on from there into deeper waters. I'm too slow for most of the casual acquaintances I've encountered thus far. The settings where taking it slow is appreciated, well, there's lots of baggage to go around. On the other hand, I'm too intense for most writers. Surely there's one out there somewhere who loves deep and intense as much as I do. One or two almost-rans who got away by getting on with creating their meaningful lives away from me.
Spread the love of written word.

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » November 29th, 2010, 9:32 pm

Margo wrote:
Sommer Leigh wrote:I'm a Leo too! Now I see why I relate to you so well.
You wanna know what's scarier? We even kinda look alike.
Awesome! I don't usually get along with other leos because there's too much awesome and not enough limelight, but I think we're going to be ok.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » November 29th, 2010, 10:06 pm

polymath wrote:Subtle is as subtle does. It's one of my healthier coping mechanisms for coping with rejection and for testing the waters. Diving in head first hasn't served me well except when literally diving into the deep end of a body of water. As far as interpersonal relations are concerned diving in has been disastrous. I like to channel relationships first anymore, see where I'm at, slowly move on from there into deeper waters. I'm too slow for most of the casual acquaintances I've encountered thus far. The settings where taking it slow is appreciated, well, there's lots of baggage to go around. On the other hand, I'm too intense for most writers. Surely there's one out there somewhere who loves deep and intense as much as I do. One or two almost-rans who got away by getting on with creating their meaningful lives away from me.
Sometimes you scare me with how smart you are, Polymath, and I worry about not being able to keep up with you. I completely understand where you are coming from right now though, and I can also imagine that only like, one in a billion are Polymath material. I hope you don't go away though. There is something comforting about seeing you around the forum, even if I don't understand everything you have to share. I often wonder about what sorts of stories you write about.

It isn't nearly on the same level, but my husband and I have friends but with one or two exceptions we are the only college graduates we know. We both have degrees in English and he also has a degree in education. We discuss the impact and relevance of literature on youth, classic literature verse contemporary YA, the shifting of universal themes in YA, how literature trains young ladies to become a specific type of woman, and cultural impacts on education and literature appreciation. Our friends are a lot less interested in these topics. I don't bother discussing any of it with them anymore because they either can't keep up, don't read, or really just aren't interested and they make it clear, sometimes uncomfortably so. In the past couple of years I've become pretty gun shy about meeting new people because I know there will be this whole big part of me I won't ever have a chance to share.

polymath

Post by polymath » November 29th, 2010, 10:53 pm

Sommer Leigh,

I'm a sponge when it comes to channeling knowledge. It's my life's consolation prize for being a social misfit, a blessing and a curse. The stories I've created to date preach the way I want the world to be for my sake. They don't go over well with anyone. Call it a voice attitude aesthetic. Sort of leaves 'em scratching their heads wondering if I'm rubbing their noses in their messes. I'm working on creating a visionarily mystical channeler voice portraying the way I perceive circumstances from the outside in, inside out from a central character's perspective, and leaving the preaching out as much as humanely possible. My current project takes errant turns into preaching when I let down my guard.

Quill

Post by Quill » November 29th, 2010, 11:02 pm

Fascinating discussion. Thanks, all.

Polymath, don't know if you are implying or saying that you may vacate these forums sooner than later. I for one hope you don't, unless of course you have damn good reasons. You add a heckuva lot here. You know this, and so does everyone else. Thanks for your tremendous contributions.

polymath

Post by polymath » November 29th, 2010, 11:29 pm

Later than sooner, Quill. I'm still prospecting for some ill defined I don't know what. When I find whatever, we'll see what's what. Who knows, it might even be a consequence of unintentionally channelling some external essence.

Steppe

Post by Steppe » November 30th, 2010, 3:59 pm

To be reborn in a flash of eternal lightning
A great sorrow and subtle misery replacing apathy
Traversing a chasm of chains that once bound vision
Hearing in the distance seeing into the abyss that is old self

A flow of thought in a living five spoke wheel.

Pure True Natural
_____Full__ Whole
Pure True Natural
__________Whole
Pure True Natural

Linear

Pure ____ ***
Full______ **
True_____ ***
Whole____ *
Natural___ ***

The Five Eternal Observers in The Great Cloud.
Spherical as 2D spheres breathing repetitively 2D sphere.

8**
88*

A Core = 0
A Shell = 00
A Modulation = 000

Walls and Bridges protecting your new self - thought castle/ship.
Not allowing the waves of others - ness'es in without signing your guestbook.

You were a great help to me old chum. ...!!!!!
Your... (please forgive my judgment on you:) an empath.
You need to learn to block and project to counter the stray flows.
You need to trust your knowledge of geometry and quantum science.
To distinguish when you are you as you should be or in a flow you should exit.

Maybe sharing here is a good training exercise for you.

Mira

Post by Mira » December 1st, 2010, 12:01 am

polymath wrote:Later than sooner, Quill. I'm still prospecting for some ill defined I don't know what. When I find whatever, we'll see what's what. Who knows, it might even be a consequence of unintentionally channelling some external essence.
Ah polymath, for you:

'And therefore as a stranger give it welcome.
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.'

- William Shakespeare

polymath

Post by polymath » December 1st, 2010, 1:11 am

Thank you, Margo, Quill, Steppe, Mira.

You-all are channelling my pathos of the moment. It's an omnidirectional channel. Alas, a flurry of work has grounded me in the endless parade of human misery again. Personal injury, corruption in high places and private places, medical malpractice, corporate indifference, homicide, assault, sexual abuse, greed, personality clashes, etcetera, and etcetera.

Steppe

Post by Steppe » December 1st, 2010, 5:54 am

I'll be going over that editorial and organizational structure we created to finish my first long form story many times.
There shall always be that river of clarity vitality and integrity traveling back and forth that you can to use to craft whatever
rhythms balances and momentums you should require at any particular point or junction of points and lines. Your a good guy.

Margo

Post by Margo » December 1st, 2010, 11:48 am

polymath wrote:Alas, a flurry of work has grounded me in the endless parade of human misery again. Personal injury, corruption in high places and private places, medical malpractice, corporate indifference, homicide, assault, sexual abuse, greed, personality clashes, etcetera, and etcetera.
I understand. Been there. Am there. Use it. Create with it. I have every confidence that you can. Vent it. Unleash it. Release it. Some of it will build back up again, because the cause doesn't go away. Repeat as necessary.

"The troubles of our proud and angry dust are from eternity, and shall not fail. Bear them we can, and if we can we must. Shoulder the sky, my lad, and drink your ale."
-A.E. Housman
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » December 1st, 2010, 1:42 pm

Margo wrote: I understand. Been there. Am there. Use it. Create with it. I have every confidence that you can. Vent it. Unleash it. Release it. Some of it will build back up again, because the cause doesn't go away. Repeat as necessary.

"The troubles of our proud and angry dust are from eternity, and shall not fail. Bear them we can, and if we can we must. Shoulder the sky, my lad, and drink your ale."
-A.E. Housman
Every time you post a beautiful quote it seems to be found specifically for me the moment I need it most.

Ever thought of taking up a career as a personal magic 8 ball?

Margo

Post by Margo » December 1st, 2010, 1:56 pm

Sommer Leigh wrote:Ever thought of taking up a career as a personal magic 8 ball?
I tried it once, but I get dizzy when people shake me.

On a more serious note, I feel that Housman quote. "Bear them we can, and if we can we must." That's part of what I'm trying to put into my WIP.

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » December 1st, 2010, 3:16 pm

Margo wrote:
Sommer Leigh wrote:Ever thought of taking up a career as a personal magic 8 ball?
I tried it once, but I get dizzy when people shake me.

On a more serious note, I feel that Housman quote. "Bear them we can, and if we can we must." That's part of what I'm trying to put into my WIP.
This is part of a big theme in mine as well.