NaNoWriMo

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Sommer Leigh

Re: NaNoWriMo

Post by Sommer Leigh » November 2nd, 2010, 12:19 am

sierramcconnell wrote:Soooo...I had to ditch first person. I think I lost an hour on that. XD

I can't write in first. I just...can't. Me and Bradley just stood there like...uhm...well...no. Just...no.

And it took forever to get a start but once I did, it's just coming out and out and out! And now I don't want to stop but I have to because I have to work tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure I'll kill most of this but...oh well! Word count, baby!

I can't believe I'm almost two days in where last year I fell a week behind! XD

Ah, bed...I need you. Darn medical stuff had me tripping...

But I did find this helpful:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Cr ... yon_colors

I like to describe eyes. XD
We made the same mistake. I don't know why I thought I'd write in first person, but a little more than 2000 words in and I feel like I've got hives. "DELETE THIS NOW," is all I can think. I'm going to have to rewrite all 2000 into third, but I don't think it'll take too long.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

bcomet

Post by bcomet » November 2nd, 2010, 12:25 am

In my lit fic, I had this character voice I really liked, but it comprised of less than 2% of the novel and I could never sustain it as the narrator of the whole story.

I had to ditch it.

Thank goodness for Nathan's listen to The Voice rule. I went back and changed it, losing only 500 words.

(P.S. WARNING. REPEAT: WARNING! When your spouse is cooking: Do NOT eat the Indian Chinese Chili mix. DO. NOT.)

(not. at. all. helpful.)
Last edited by bcomet on November 2nd, 2010, 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

sierramcconnell

Post by sierramcconnell » November 2nd, 2010, 12:39 am

Yes, I told myself I wasn't going to edit while writing.

I so edited while writing. XD

But not too bad! I was just catching the things I knew needed to be changed or where I was being redundant or felt didn't fit right. Even when I was behind I figured it would barrel roll when it would. And there is a part that I absolutely love in here, written from the voice of the "bad" guy (remember, there are no bad guys! XD) and OMG it is so lush-ious. I want to eat it.

And the best part is, we don't know who he is yet! It's blended into the ending of another character's journal entry. XD

[sighs at it]

I so needed a break from the other world. Part of me is going, "OMG it's going to take forever to edit this."

But the other part of me is going, "Tomorrow, we attack at sundown. Mwahaha!"
I'm on Tumblr!

The blog died...but so did I...and now I'm alive again! OMG.

sarahdee

Post by sarahdee » November 2nd, 2010, 1:57 am

751 words although I have around 10 pages of hastily scribbled research...

Heather B

Post by Heather B » November 2nd, 2010, 4:59 am

I've only done 2,500 words because I can't. Turn. My. Inner editor. Off!

*headdesk*
Journey to the Cuckoo's Nest

http://heathermbryant.blogspot.com.au/

Cookie

Post by Cookie » November 2nd, 2010, 2:43 pm

Ok, I know I am a day late, but I just signed up. Eek.
Luckily, I am traveling for work for the next 3 weeks, so I will have plenty of time to write with utter abandon on the bus. Or so I hope.
I'm not quite sure which story to go with. There is a character in my head that won't shut up, so maybe I will write her story.
Good luck everyone!

Jen P

Post by Jen P » November 2nd, 2010, 3:42 pm

I shouldn't be here. I should be writing. But I also have an interview to prepare and a book to read for said interview. Yep, definitely shouldn't be here. OK, I'm just clearing my desk. Book, questions prep, NaNoWriMo till 2am. I'm off. I may be gone some time. In fact, I will only come back on December 1st, all going well. Good luck y'all.

Claudie

Post by Claudie » November 3rd, 2010, 1:23 am

We made the same mistake. I don't know why I thought I'd write in first person, but a little more than 2000 words in and I feel like I've got hives. "DELETE THIS NOW," is all I can think. I'm going to have to rewrite all 2000 into third, but I don't think it'll take too long.
Eep, don't delete it, Sommer! Just use the fabulous "Strike" option, or highlight it. Words written, even if rewritten right after, are still words. I find that when I want to remove entire chunks, this method keeps me from losing speed but allows me some 'editing' leeway. I had an entire scene that was all wrong, and it simply got stroke.
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

S. M. Worth

Post by S. M. Worth » November 3rd, 2010, 2:23 am

I wanted to try last November, but chickened out. I'm in this year. Had a slow start on day one. Day two I came back strong and almost made up what I missed from the first day. Now here's to actually pulling ahead of my estimates for today! For anyone that wants to see my progress, I post it daily on my site below, or follow me on Twitter. I know I like seeing how everyone else is doing. It encourages me to keep writing.
S. M. Worth - Follow my first NaNo attempt
Twitter!