Random Name Generator

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
sarahdee

Random Name Generator

Post by sarahdee » October 22nd, 2010, 4:40 am

I'm sure Nathan or someone posted a link to a really good one but I can't find it via these forums or google. All the ones that come up on google are SF/fantasy types and I just want some inspiration finding normal names...

Anyone have a clue what I am talking about? :)

sbs_mjc1

Re: Random Name Generator

Post by sbs_mjc1 » October 22nd, 2010, 5:13 am

''Normal names'' for any specific culture? (says the person whose first name is even weird in its home culture/language).
http://www.fakenamegenerator.com/gen-random-en-uk.php
This one does a good job generating Anglo names-- if you reset it to German, you can basically get some generic ''white American'' names. It's a bit iffy on other cultures, unfortunately.
Other strategies include going through a local paper from the area you're writing about, and picking surnames/forenames at random. Or looking through lists of baby names online.
http://sb-writingtheother.blogspot.com/
FORGOTTEN GODS is out September 17th 2011! Check the blog for details.

Truth and Fiction

Post by Truth and Fiction » October 22nd, 2010, 10:16 am

Sorry, I don't know anything about this. All I know is that my "random name generator" is opening a phone book and scanning the names until I find one that feels right. I'm starting to realize, though, that phone books probably won't exist for much longer...

stephmcgee

Post by stephmcgee » October 22nd, 2010, 12:11 pm

Seventh Sanctum is a really good generator for a lot of different styles and types of names. There's the fantasy name generator for more outlandish ones. And my go to is baby name websites.

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » October 22nd, 2010, 12:12 pm

Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

wordranger

Post by wordranger » October 22nd, 2010, 11:34 pm

You know what I do? It may sound really silly, but I subscribe to "Word of the Day" from dictionary.com.

Every day I get a new word. At least twice or more a week they come up with a word I've never heard before that sounds like a name. I keep a word document set aside and paste the word and it's definition into it.

Then, when a new character pops up in my story, I pull it out. It mostly works for last names, but I have found a few good first names this way as well.

And the best part? Since they are real words... they don't get that annoying line under them telling you that you spelled the word wrong. Less words to add to your custom dictionary!
Words are your friend.
Don't be afraid to lose yourself in them.

Jennifer Eaton, WordRanger
My Novelette LAST WINTER RED will be published by J. Taylor Publishing in December, 2012

Take a Step into My World and Learn From My Mistakes http://www.jennifermeaton.com/

J. T. SHEA

Post by J. T. SHEA » October 23rd, 2010, 6:23 pm

Place-names. I name most of my characters after places. Just avoid overusing 'Street' as a surname.

You might also try captchas, the anti-spam verification 'words' on website comment boxes. Those on Nathan's blog have become more word-like in spelling recently.

stephmcgee

Post by stephmcgee » October 23rd, 2010, 8:22 pm

J. T. SHEA wrote:Place-names. I name most of my characters after places. Just avoid overusing 'Street' as a surname.

You might also try captchas, the anti-spam verification 'words' on website comment boxes. Those on Nathan's blog have become more word-like in spelling recently.
I used those in one novel for magic spells. They worked quite well.

sarahdee

Post by sarahdee » October 23rd, 2010, 9:36 pm

"Behind the Name" was the one I was thinking of but I've saved the others to my bookmarks as well!

Cheers everyone!

randallfoster

Post by randallfoster » August 20th, 2023, 10:34 pm

Search this forum for keywords like "name generator" or the specific person's name you mentioned (Nathan) to try to locate the old thread. You can also try contacting that person directly if you know who they are.