Nanowrimo

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
WilliamMJones

Nanowrimo

Post by WilliamMJones » October 1st, 2010, 10:03 pm

Not sure if this belongs here or all things writing.

The 2010 Nanowrimo site just went up. Anyone else a wrimo?
If you want to add me as a buddy, my username is fantasyfreak_18.

Claudie

Re: Nanowrimo

Post by Claudie » October 2nd, 2010, 11:51 am

I am a WriMo, an ML, and a complete addict. I've been waiting for the site relaunch since... December 2009? Or about. ;)

I'm known as Annalia over there.
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

Margo

Post by Margo » October 2nd, 2010, 12:37 pm

I've never done NaNoWriMo before, but I'm seriously considering it because I have a partial request for a book I have yet to write (it was an accident). I checked out the website. How does the buddy thing work? Is it supposed to be a way for us to be accountable to one another and encourage one another to make our word counts?
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Holly

Post by Holly » October 2nd, 2010, 1:02 pm

I signed up for it last year, but didn't intend to write a 50,000 word draft. I went to all the write-ins at a local college and coffee shop and worked on the novel I'm about to finish this fall. It was a lot of fun and very, very helpful -- we spent two to six hours writing in a room with each other several times a week. Our group has stayed in touch, too, which is nice.

Can't decide whether I will sign up this year -- if so, I will only go to the write-ins again. I know you can just talk to other writers on the website, but I recommend the write-ins.

WilliamMJones

Post by WilliamMJones » October 2nd, 2010, 2:13 pm

You add people to your buddies list, and then from your homepage you can see their word counts. You can send encouraging emails to people and stuff like that. But I agree that the write ins are most helpful, and most fun.

Margo

Post by Margo » October 2nd, 2010, 2:51 pm

Thanks for the info, everyone. I went ahead and signed up. I'm going to be on vacation for a week or two in November anyway and was planning to use it for writing time. Username mdal. I'd love to be buddies with anyone around here.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Claudie

Post by Claudie » October 2nd, 2010, 3:18 pm

The Write-ins are, in my opinion, a must. Online buddies are rarely as encouraging as friends from your region. And if your experience is anything like mine, you'll keep seeing some of these folks way after November.

Margo, I've added you in my buddies. Normally you should see "Annalia added you to his/her buddy list", with my name highlighted. You can just click on it to get my profile.

Alternatively, anyone who's friended you should be under the "Buddy of" list, which is under the "My NaNoWriMo" tab, down "Writing Buddies".

I almost invariably write my first drafts during NaNoWriMo. That means they are terrible first drafts, yes, but I have the whole year to work on them. ;)
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

Holly

Post by Holly » October 2nd, 2010, 3:49 pm

You all talked me into it again... I added Claudie, WilliamMJones and Margo as buddies. My account is HollyG.

I won't have a word count, though. I hope I will be gasping over the finish line for the novel I'm working on now. Good luck, everybody!

Jaya

Post by Jaya » October 2nd, 2010, 3:55 pm

What are "write in's"? Can someone explain the process of this site? Sounds interesting.

Claudie

Post by Claudie » October 2nd, 2010, 4:10 pm

Jaya wrote:What are "write in's"? Can someone explain the process of this site? Sounds interesting.
NaNoWriMo is a simple writing challenge: write 50,000 words of a novel during the month of November. To register, you simply go to nanowrimo.org

What happens is that every Wrimo has the option to affiliate with a Home Region. Every region has its own piece of forum and most of them are under the care of a Municipal Liaison (ML). MLs will set up regular "write-ins", which are simply meetings in which you sit down and write with the other writers of your region.

I am a ML for my region, and I don't think I can repeat often enough how much fun there is to be had at a write-in, and how awesome NaNoWriMo participants are. This entire challenge is about forgetting quality and just writing. Word after word after word, until you finally go over the 50k line. I've found that most Wrimos are upbeat, creative and a bit crazy, which is how I like my friends. ;)

Aimée

Post by Aimée » October 2nd, 2010, 6:56 pm

I have never done it before, but I'm to try this year.

stephmcgee

Post by stephmcgee » October 2nd, 2010, 9:08 pm

Good luck to everyone participating this year. I would do it if I had more hours in the day. Unfortunately as it currently stands I don't have enough hours for what's on my plate already. There is always next year for me.

Jaya

Post by Jaya » October 2nd, 2010, 9:44 pm

Wow. This sounds neat. It can really force you to write, which might be a good thing. I'd have to start brainstorming this month I guess. I guess it cannot hurt - its just a month. An experiment of sorts. I'm nearly asleep here now, but I'm thinking that is about 2000 words a day.

WilliamMJones

Post by WilliamMJones » October 2nd, 2010, 9:57 pm

1667 words a day, to be exact.

JennaSaisPas

Post by JennaSaisPas » October 3rd, 2010, 2:46 am

Hi all!

I'll be doing NaNoWriMo this year, too. I'll be spending October plotting. I'll be doing basically a 90-day-novel, with the first half of the writing during November. It's certainly a great way to buckle down!

I'm gallaure over there, for whoever wants to be buddies.
-----Jenna

This signature will self-destruct in 42 seconds. Have a nice day.