The Final Battle...does it have to be a cliche?

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
redcrest

Re: The Final Battle...does it have to be a cliche?

Post by redcrest » September 28th, 2010, 7:02 pm

I’m the opposite—I love writing the big, dramatic epic battles at the end of books/series~ My problem is all the boring stuff that comes before. =__= (Exposition, bah!) Honestly, how do other people write all the non-desperate-battle parts of a book and make them interesting??

Lol, musings about the impenetrable mundane aside, I don’t think your hero needs to kill the final baddie. Especially if he isn’t a warrior/fighter—what business does an average joe have laying the final smackdown? Save it for the badass warrior side character who loyally follows him (if you’ve got one). Since the hero’s main conflict was learning about loss, make the moment he loses his friend the big climax. It would give rounder/fuller closure to his story than a random gun/sword fight with the baddie.

Also, I’m hoping the main character who was taken hostage isn’t the main heroine/love interest… it always makes me sad when that’s all a heroine manages to “contribute” to a final battle…

sierramcconnell

Re: The Final Battle...does it have to be a cliche?

Post by sierramcconnell » September 29th, 2010, 4:47 pm

Oh, no, not a love interest at all. Though the MC did think he was a girl at first. He's actually an angel God asked to do all these random things to help move the plot along and no one is the wiser. XD

[cough] What, you don't think God does this? HE DOES.

He's the driving force.

"Release bad guy." - Check
"Protect God's favorite pawn." - Check
"Save up magical venom." - Check
"Change sides." - Check
"Act as if you're a victim." - Check

"Next time God asks you to help in a plot to clear out a problem He left unresolved thousands of years ago, tell him you left something baking in the oven?" - CHECK UNDERLINE SCRIBBLE DOT DOT DOT

Because this isn't the first time he's done this for him. And he's always going up to these people and going, "You know, you don't have to do this, you could stop right now and ask God to forgive you." [longing stare]

But they never do take the path of least resistance. They just keep going. [tsk tsk]

XD

And it's so wonderfully executed no one does suspect it. Just like no one knew God was who he was until he revealed himself. XD
I'm on Tumblr!

The blog died...but so did I...and now I'm alive again! OMG.