(This thread is not yet titled)

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Aimée

Re: (This thread is not yet titled)

Post by Aimée » August 21st, 2010, 4:09 pm

johndavid wrote:Aimee...

Go through your finished book and try to find a line that would work for the title (even if it's only used once). Even one or two words can work.

As a quick example Sinclair used the term 'the jungle' once in his book with the same title.

Your title is probably inside your book, you just have to go searching for it!
This is actually what I do. One of my characters said a line once that was very intriguing. It was a temporary title, but I grew out of it. I think that's a really cool thing, like when you go to see a movie and the character says the name of the movie some time. It has a cool effect. I'll have to go searching again, thanks!

JanKozlowski

Post by JanKozlowski » August 21st, 2010, 7:23 pm

I agonize over titles. I was trained as a journalist a million years ago and titles were not part of our writing assignments. Editors wrote the titles and I was more than happy to let them. For the last two short story titles I had to come up with, I ended up stealing one from a Bible quote-And Ye Shall Eat the Fat of the Land and the other one was a take off on a Christmas movie-Home for the Horrordays.

arbraun

Post by arbraun » August 21st, 2010, 11:26 pm

I have a natural gift for thinking of titles, thank God. I don't know what it's like to agonize over them. If I run into someone who can't think of one, I can usually come up with a killer title, which makes me feel good inside. Sometimes, I think of a better title than an author has come up with, which is also great. There, I don't hoard it all for myself.

ShadowFlame

Post by ShadowFlame » May 6th, 2011, 4:43 pm

Wow its not just me!
I love making up titles too.
Usaully before i develop the plot/write a lot i give the booka title i also enjoy naming chapter titles
WIPs-
WIP 1-On 2nd draft
WIP 2-On first Draft
Wip 3-On first draft

Mike R

Post by Mike R » May 6th, 2011, 7:06 pm

Title first with me. No title, no focus, the story could wander off in any direction. With a title, the characters and I are on the same page.

TheZies

Post by TheZies » May 7th, 2011, 11:37 am

I'm definitely a titler.

I've already titled my next four ideas:
Songs for the Day After
How I Spent New Years with the Mob
The Man Who Killed God
The Machiavellian Debate

It's fun and helps with my theme for the book. Though, I reserve the right to change the title at any point.

I have a buddy and all of his WIPs are titled Bumblebees Are Impossible.
follow me on the twitters!
http://www.twitter.com/thezies
I also have the blogs:
http://www.idiocracyrising.com

sierramcconnell

Post by sierramcconnell » May 9th, 2011, 12:02 pm

Someone will change your title in the course of it's publishing. So I don't worry too much on titles. That's why I call one "The Chasing Series" and the other "The Eden Underground Series". I also have other books I haven't written, which aren't titled, because a title is like a commitment. It's like naming a child. You've just given it a life and a name. You're stuck with it.

It now lives.
I'm on Tumblr!

The blog died...but so did I...and now I'm alive again! OMG.

jazzlovesnoodles

Post by jazzlovesnoodles » May 24th, 2011, 2:32 pm

I like thinking of titles too. Sometimes having a key word or phrase linked to the project can help you to make associations and think of new ideas based on imagery that the title evokes.

chvyg80

Post by chvyg80 » May 24th, 2011, 8:03 pm

I usually write my whole piece once than pick a line out of the book and make it the first title. Then I start my revisions and think of other titles. Finally I'll end up with about 10 possible titles and ask other's opinions and take it from there. Even then I sometimes change it again. Even my current WIP has went through several title changes. LOL, I do the same with my poetry.
Chavone
"The pains and struggles of my past are what has made me the beautiful person I am today"