How do you get yourself out of a writing rut?

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Nathan Bransford

How do you get yourself out of a writing rut?

Post by Nathan Bransford » April 9th, 2017, 7:10 am

I'm on record saying writers block doesn't exist. It means writing has stopped being fun, but I do believe it's possible to power through.

That said, what is your best strategy for powering through? I tend to stare at a blinking cursor or try to get some exercise to clear my head, but I'm sure there are better approaches. What do you do?

J. T. SHEA

Re: How do you get yourself out of a writing rut?

Post by J. T. SHEA » April 12th, 2017, 12:30 am

Cursor staring no. Exercise yes. Long walks where I brainstorm possible set pieces etc. I always have plenty of ideas but can angst about choosing the 'right' one.

Bryanj62

Post by Bryanj62 » April 13th, 2017, 8:40 pm

Sometimes it's as simple as taking a blank piece of paper and playing around with words. When we're at the computer our minds can play tricks on us. Try something different. Go to another part of your house. Grab a notebook, a pen, a pencil, a crayon and play. If you trick your mind into thinking none of this matters you may come up with some amazing ideas.

AnimaDictio

Post by AnimaDictio » May 24th, 2017, 8:48 am

For me, there is no writer's block at dawn. I'm a morning person. All I need to write is to get enough sleep. If I feel refreshed, the words always come.