Suggestions about characters

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Knightsoftheblade

Suggestions about characters

Post by Knightsoftheblade » October 12th, 2016, 1:32 am

I am relatively new at writing and i am hoping to get aome helpful suggestions for the main character in the story i am currently working on.

To give some background my character if an elvish female who is almost one hundred years old. She used to belong to an order that was tasked with protecting the relm from evil. That was eight years ago, now the order she belonged to has been destroyed; the behind the sceans actions of their enemies saw to that. So for the last eight years my character has been wandering the land not as a champion or heroine but as a person selling her sword, taking odd jobs and doing everything she can to keep her head down. In that time she has changed from proud noble defender to a cynical, faithless oerson who is in every sense of the word, broken.

So my question is this what kinds of things could i do to convince her to start adventuring/ begin making a return trip to who she was before all of these traumatic things happened? Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated, thanks a ton everyone.

AnimaDictio

Re: Suggestions about characters

Post by AnimaDictio » May 24th, 2017, 8:53 am

She has to love something or someone. The threat of losing that thing will usually get a broken person into the fray. For John Wick, it was his dog. For Denzel's character in Man On Fire, it was the little girl played by Dakota Fanning.

Lorie

Re: Suggestions about characters

Post by Lorie » June 4th, 2017, 1:52 pm

I agree with AnimaDictio - what did you character care about to begin with who could now be in danger? A sibling? A place? An old man she used to give food to every day? Who was she close to? This is what comes from knowing your characters and their history - I suspect you may need to flesh out your character a bit more - understand who she is as a person (likes, dislikes, etc.).