How do you celebrate finishing a book?

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Ermo

How do you celebrate finishing a book?

Post by Ermo » July 19th, 2010, 10:40 am

Wine? Vacation? Six pack? A naked run through the woods?

I am nearing completion of my second novel. I was too stupid to realize after my first one that I had actually accomplished something (as bad as that book was) so I did nothing except maybe sigh.... Not sure what I'll do this time.

dios4vida

Re: How do you celebrate finishing a book?

Post by dios4vida » July 19th, 2010, 11:25 am

I hug my cats. (No joke.)

I excitedly call the few people in my life who think my writing is cool - which is, sadly, my Mom, my mother-in-law, and my husband.

Then I usually go out to my backyard (I have one of those?) and look out at the desert behind my house (what are those bushy things out there?) and get myself reacquainted with the outdoors (my gosh, it's bright out there!). I do some breathing, dump everything out of my brain, and celebrate with something special. It used to be wine, but darn medications won't let me drink anymore. So usually it's ice cream now.

Yeah, I know. I'm not very good at celebrating. I'm saving the big party for signing with an agent (or at least a ms request).
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

steve

Post by steve » July 19th, 2010, 12:34 pm

Human sacrifice
Read one of the best stories by Borges.

karenbb

Post by karenbb » July 19th, 2010, 3:48 pm

I'd first like to know how you determine that it's finished...my book has been finished for two months and yet I can't bring myself to stop editing...

cheekychook

Post by cheekychook » July 19th, 2010, 3:52 pm

I was just going to ask the same question....does finished mean the first time you type the words "the end"? Or the first time you make it through a round of editing? Or when it's finally good enough to give it to readers? Or when you tweak it for the umpteenth time and can no longer stand to look at it for fear you'll find a typo on a page you've read 8000 times and it'll be the tipping point where you finally do run screaming into the woods? (Oh, wait, running in the woods was one of the celebratory options....but that was naked...) Or is finished when your agent/editor/publisher/psychic calls you and tells you "the presses are rolling, it's too late to change anything"?
http://www.karenstivali.com

Passionate Plume 1st Place Winner 2012 - ALWAYS YOU
Published with Ellora's Cave, Turquoise Morning Press & Samhain Publishing

WilliamMJones

Post by WilliamMJones » July 19th, 2010, 5:21 pm

I stayed up all night writing, and finished the last three chapters at six in the morning. I promptly jumped up and shouted, waking up my family. I then fell asleep.

JustineDell

Post by JustineDell » July 19th, 2010, 5:58 pm

karenbb wrote:I'd first like to know how you determine that it's finished...my book has been finished for two months and yet I can't bring myself to stop editing...
I'm like this. ;-) Finished isn't really finished until the linger is gone. Then I actually don't do anything. That's pretty boring. LoL

~JD

http://www.justine-dell.blogspot.com/

"Three things in life that, once gone, never return; Time, Words, & Opportunity"

cheekychook

Post by cheekychook » July 19th, 2010, 6:19 pm

WilliamMJones---congratulations! And I hope your family doesn't decide to scream and wake you as payback.

Ermo---sounds to me like you need to celebrate double when you complete this one since you forgot the first time---there's no expiration date on the right to celebrate.

Heather B

Post by Heather B » July 19th, 2010, 6:21 pm

I start the next one. No rest for the wicked and all that...
Journey to the Cuckoo's Nest

http://heathermbryant.blogspot.com.au/

AnimaDictio

Post by AnimaDictio » July 19th, 2010, 8:57 pm

I've never come close to finishing a novel. I've finished many songs, poems, and short stories, but never a novel. I have only finished the third chapter of my first novel. I have so long to go. :-(

Ermo

Post by Ermo » July 20th, 2010, 11:46 am

Hey cheeky and karen - my definition of "finished" is completion of the first draft. Yeah, yeah I know there is still a ton of work to do after that but I think it's quite an accomplishment to finish a first draft. Plus, it gives you more opportunities to celebrate in the future (yay! my edits are done! or woo-hoo! I have an agent! or It's going to be published! Order up a case of Dogfish head! (that's a beer))

I like how William did it - that's good stuff. And Heather - you really don't allow yourself even one private moment of celebration?

cheekychook

Post by cheekychook » July 20th, 2010, 12:03 pm

Ermo----I like your definition---it means I owe myself a few celebrations and will owe myself yet another by the end of the week if things go as planned (hoping to finish the current round of revisions by Friday...that would be round....uhmmmm...okay, it's a lot of rounds). ;)

Down the well

Post by Down the well » July 20th, 2010, 12:50 pm

Ermo wrote:my definition of "finished" is completion of the first draft
Okay, by that definition I do what dios4vida does: I come up out of my well and go outside into that bright stuff they call sunlight. I check back in with reality, have some fun, and drink some wine while my project marinates, waiting for revisions.

Robin

Post by Robin » July 20th, 2010, 4:11 pm

Great ideas, but the day I type, "The End" I am eating carbs!! I haven't eaten a damn carb in over a month, so the idea of have a plate full of carbs is making me type faster and really focus on finishing.
Robin
"A glass slipper is only a shoe. Dreamers who only dream never have their dreams come true."

http://www.RobynLucas.com/

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » July 20th, 2010, 4:19 pm

Robin wrote:Great ideas, but the day I type, "The End" I am eating carbs!! I haven't eaten a damn carb in over a month, so the idea of have a plate full of carbs is making me type faster and really focus on finishing.
I salute your dedication! I couldn't go a single meal without carbs, let alone a month! Way to go, Robin, finish that book up and enjoy some bread and pasta and rice - all at once! :)
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson