Book title inspiration!

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Quill

Re: Book title inspiration!

Post by Quill » May 23rd, 2010, 7:25 pm

Or, just "A Million Miles." Still intriguing and gets rid of the Sci Fi imagery.

JustineDell

Post by JustineDell » May 23rd, 2010, 7:54 pm

Interesting topic!

I feel your pain. When I titled my first MS, I did the same as you (playing with random words), but I never tried the wordle thing. That's hilarious! I ended up with a play on words in a different way, using themes/ideas from the story itself and putting them together. I ended up with "Broken Ties That Bind". Have you tried something like that?

With my second book, I put together what the H/H were doing throughout the book. I'm not crazy about the title...but hey, it works. After all, the publisher might change it, right? So, the second book is called "Recaptured Dreams". Hopefully you can tell the plot/theme a bit from the title alone.

The third book title came out of nowhere. I mean, this book isn't even done and I was sitting in the car one day, listening to music and then three words from the song said everything. I'm gonna keep that one to myself though ;-)

Good luck!

~JD

http://www.justine-dell.blogspot.com/

"Three things in life that, once gone, never return; Time, Words, & Opportunity"

karenbb

Post by karenbb » May 24th, 2010, 11:11 am

Justine,

That's good to know that you came up with three separate titles in three different ways. I keep hoping for divine intervention, but I'm also happy with Bring Me Back now that everyone has talked me off the Lifetime channel ledge.

I had to laugh about your second suggestion about a short phrase that describes what your H&H are doing in the book because that would make mine quite naughty considering the "active" nature of their relationship at the beginning, especially. I don't plan to let my dad read the book (makes me think about Anne Lamott's comment about writing like your parents are dead) but I have to at least be able to tell him the title and have him be able to repeat it in polite conversation...Ha!

JustineDell

Post by JustineDell » May 24th, 2010, 1:40 pm

karenbb wrote:Justine,

That's good to know that you came up with three separate titles in three different ways. I keep hoping for divine intervention, but I'm also happy with Bring Me Back now that everyone has talked me off the Lifetime channel ledge.

I had to laugh about your second suggestion about a short phrase that describes what your H&H are doing in the book because that would make mine quite naughty considering the "active" nature of their relationship at the beginning, especially. I don't plan to let my dad read the book (makes me think about Anne Lamott's comment about writing like your parents are dead) but I have to at least be able to tell him the title and have him be able to repeat it in polite conversation...Ha!
Write like your parents are dead...hahahaha. I do!

Don't worry, one day you'll get that perfect title. I like Bring Me Back, though. Now I'm off to wordle my ms. You gave me the coolest idea!

~JD

http://www.justine-dell.blogspot.com/

"Three things in life that, once gone, never return; Time, Words, & Opportunity"

deepsesh

Post by deepsesh » May 27th, 2010, 7:01 am

If you've been calling it 'Bring Me Back' for too long - then that's your name! It would probably sound odd if you change it at this point of time... cos u know it as BMB!

Scott

Post by Scott » May 27th, 2010, 10:33 am

The Plimsouls! Awesome tune, karenbb! I'm a huge fan of Peter Case.

So why not call it A Million Miles Away?