Write a query before you're done with the book?

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
wildheart

Re: Write a query before you're done with the book?

Post by wildheart » April 27th, 2010, 5:02 pm

Like everyone else said...write the query if you wish, if you think it will help you. Do not, however, send it out to agents. Not if you ever want to get published.
http://wildheart90.blogspot.com/
A mother. A writer. A dreamer.

jkmcdonnell

Post by jkmcdonnell » April 28th, 2010, 7:42 am

Not sure why everyone is freaking out since I think it was pretty clear you just wanted to write the query, not necessarily send it now. Anyway, I definitely think writing your query while writing your draft is helpful and constructive. Similarly, you might like to try drafting up a one to two page synopsis if you haven't already.

wilderness

Post by wilderness » April 29th, 2010, 2:45 pm

I agree with those who say writing (not sending) a query before finishing your manuscript is a great idea. You can make sure you have a cogent hook, conflict, and goal. What's the point in writing the book if you can't pitch it? :)

Ermo

Post by Ermo » April 30th, 2010, 1:22 pm

Yes, when I asked the question, I was just asking if people found it helpful to write the query BUT NOT SEND IT until the book is finished. It seems many people think it is helpful so I tried. Writing queries is hard. Like hitting Tim Lincecum hard. It is, however, really helpful for the book. I feel better that my book does indeed have a plot I can put in a query! Thanks everyone for their input.

wilderness

Post by wilderness » April 30th, 2010, 1:40 pm

Ermo, it was because the next poster mentioned sending it to agents, not you :)

chris13

Post by chris13 » May 5th, 2010, 8:17 pm

I'm writing my query before my mss is finished because it is forcing me to look at the key issues of characterization, conflict, stakes and resolution. Of course I won't be sending it. And it does take different skills, and is very difficult.

izanobu

Post by izanobu » May 8th, 2010, 4:20 am

I think writing up a synopsis and query before the book is done can be really helpful (and sometimes easier because you don't get so trapped in the this happened then this happened boringness that doesn't need to be in the query or synopsis).

I'd say send it in, if you can finish the book fast enough (ie within a couple weeks if you get a full request). Of course, once you've sold a book, you'll probably be selling via proposal anyway for subsequent books.

BlancheKing

Post by BlancheKing » May 8th, 2010, 5:23 am

Eh? seriously? To write a query before you finish your editing is already cutting the process short, but to do it before even finishing the manuscript??? I don't know...
One manuscript, One dream, One stack of stamps that needs to be bought...
Writing Process: http://blancheking.blogspot.com/

linguista

Post by linguista » May 8th, 2010, 8:56 am

I wrote my query immediately after the first draft. I've spent a lot of time on publishing related sites, and even though neither of my projects is at query stage, I decided to write the query and get it out of the way.

This way I can let the query sit, and edit it. So that I send of my best query. In addition, a query has a way of pointing out lack of plot. I'm a set-of-pantser, so plot is optional when I write. lol. So yeah, I'd say for those of us who aren't outliners, writing a query beforehand (or midproject) can be helpful.

Cpd

Post by Cpd » May 8th, 2010, 8:02 pm

I do this too! Actually, I write the letter before I've started the book to make sure that I have a good understanding of the main conflicts and characters.

Of course, I also daydream about being interviewed on talk shows and claim that it serves the same purpose.

katya152

Post by katya152 » May 9th, 2010, 5:46 pm

I started doing this accidentally as I was reading and learning about querying as I wrote the manuscript. Now I do this with almost every book idea. I write a query. If the query is weak or I'm not sure how to approach it, I know I need to keep working on the idea/plot before I start writing. Or maybe I need to toss it altogether. Also, continuing to polish the query as I'm writing has been a great way for me to think about the conflict/plot/characters etc. as a whole and see opportunities to make changes. I think this is a great method.