Will my MC's name kill my chances?

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Bohemienne

Re: Will my MC's name kill my chances?

Post by Bohemienne » March 31st, 2010, 2:28 pm

Vitiosus is pretty stumblesome, and there's a lot of different ways it could be pronounced. I think you could easily turn it to Vitosius, with the very familiar "ius" or even "sius" dipthong from Latin names, and people would instantly catch on it. Just my personal preference!

shadow

Post by shadow » March 31st, 2010, 2:44 pm

Gosh how did I not think of that! I like that idea thanks!!
All things writing, visit my blog http://arielemerald.blogspot.com/

ImageImageImageImage

mmcdonald64

Post by mmcdonald64 » March 31st, 2010, 4:02 pm

I also stumbled on the name. Part of that might be attributed to my new bifocal contacts I'm trying to get used to, but some was also the unfamiliarity of the name. For me, when I figured out a how to say it in my head, it didn't give me any mental picture of who this character might be. Of course, I've only read the name, I'm sure you have created a voice and image for him in your story, but taken out of context...it does nothing for me.

kenpochick

Post by kenpochick » April 1st, 2010, 10:02 am

I likje Bohemienne's suggestion. I don't like it as is but lots of fantasy novels have strange names. I don't think it will kill your chances but I'll be honest that when I read your query I just skip over his name.

wildheart

Post by wildheart » April 1st, 2010, 3:03 pm

Don't worry about the name ruining your chances of getting your query read. If your story is well written along with your query that is all that really matters. Granted, the name isn't the easiest to say, but if you like it...why change it? At least, why change it before you have heard anything from agents?
http://wildheart90.blogspot.com/
A mother. A writer. A dreamer.

jen

Post by jen » April 2nd, 2010, 8:11 pm

Sorry...the name sounds way too much like halitosis . Flossing may help .
Last edited by jen on September 21st, 2010, 6:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

jen

Post by jen » April 2nd, 2010, 8:48 pm

Why dont you call him.....wait for it...

Shadow ? Thats a great name , enigmatic .

All the best of luck !

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » April 2nd, 2010, 11:28 pm

For me personally as a reader, names are very important. Especially when it comes to how they are pronounced. When I read, I mentally repeat the words in my head as I go, and if I stumble over a name over and over again, it can be enough to turn me off a book. I might be alone in how I read, so take that for what it is worth. Visually, I find the name with so many strong letters in it (the "V" in particularly) to be pretty excellent. However pronouncing it in my head is tough and I don't think it rolls off the tongue well. If it is for a character whose name might not come up too often, it wouldn't bother me. If it is for a main character who will be on every page, yeah that might bother me.

Making choices like this is tough, I feel for you. Shortly after I chose the name for my current main character, I picked up a new book a day after it came out by a debut author and...there was my character's name. In black and white. Total coincidence. I hadn't even heard of the author's book before I stumbled on it in the store. And I had to go through the difficult process of choosing a new name and acclimating myself to her. It ended up being for the best, since her new name is better suited. But still. It can be painful to make that decision, so I feel for you. Good luck!
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

E. A. Brass

Post by E. A. Brass » April 4th, 2010, 4:55 am

I either love the name or hate it depending on how I pronounce it, but that's part of the problem---I have no idea which way to pronounce it. Vih-tee-O-sus? Vie-TEE-os-us? Vih-SHO-sus? Vit-eye-OS-us? Vih-TIE-o-sus? VIE-ti-OS-us? Vie-TIE-o-sus? Etc. Some of these sound great, while some sound, like people are saying, like halitosis. I would personally just choose the way that I liked best as a reader (Vie-TIE-o-sus, btw---it makes me idea-jealous, whereas Vih-tee-O-sus, ... not so much), but realize that not everyone will be getting the same name out of this.

As far as I'm concerned, names are the hardest part almost every time. Good luck finding a way to feel confident about the name, whether by changing it or taking a stance with yourself.

A.M.Kuska

Post by A.M.Kuska » April 4th, 2010, 10:15 pm

When I saw difficult names as kid, it wasn't necessarily a turn off for me. Granted all reading stopped, I stared at the name, and went over it 3 or 4 times trying to figure out how the author wanted it pronounced. If I did not want to handicap myself by trying to read it, I assigned the person my own name. If I liked the book enough, of course.

This person would become "Mr. V" to me.