How to Make Symbols with Keyboard

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
longknife

How to Make Symbols with Keyboard

Post by longknife » July 4th, 2014, 9:34 pm

It took me a minute to figure it out but its really neat☺

As a writer, this is a real help. I no longer have to go to the Insert icon and then click through a couple of portals to hunt for the special symbol I need.

¡ and ¿ are ones I use a lot and this will allow me to go on without losing my train of thought.

I found this on Google+ and am sorry that I didn't remember the name of the one who posted it.
Drop by Father Serra's Legacy http://msgdaleday.blogspot.com. Comments always eagerly awaited - but only if you find the item interesting enough to respond to.

polymath

Re: How to Make Symbols with Keyboard

Post by polymath » July 6th, 2014, 3:03 pm

Several of my wordprocessor programs' apps have an easy text clip file feature. Character entities like accute accent E for cliché and grave accent A for vis-à-vis are a few keystrokes. I have a large number of these "ligatures" as they are labeled by typesetters and a host of other symbols. The ones in each program might not translate to HTML or to other platforms or programs, so I also have a clip file of their alter-identities. The list is of ISO 8859-1 Character Entities for HTML and their wordprocessor alternates include Æ, Þ, ñ, Œ, ‡, €, ¥, £, ¢, §, ¶, and a gamut of other non-English language entities, typesetting marks, math operators, symbols, text art, etc., the programs and apps don't come with in default setup.

♔ ♕ ♖ ♗ ♘ ♙ ♚ ♛ ♜ ♝ ♞ ♟

☾☪☽
Spread the love of written word.

longknife

Post by longknife » July 7th, 2014, 8:24 pm

polymath wrote:Several of my wordprocessor programs' apps have an easy text clip file feature. Character entities like accute accent E for cliché and grave accent A for vis-à-vis are a few keystrokes. I have a large number of these "ligatures" as they are labeled by typesetters and a host of other symbols. The ones in each program might not translate to HTML or to other platforms or programs, so I also have a clip file of their alter-identities. The list is of ISO 8859-1 Character Entities for HTML and their wordprocessor alternates include Æ, Þ, ñ, Œ, ‡, €, ¥, £, ¢, §, ¶, and a gamut of other non-English language entities, typesetting marks, math operators, symbols, text art, etc., the programs and apps don't come with in default setup.

♔ ♕ ♖ ♗ ♘ ♙ ♚ ♛ ♜ ♝ ♞ ♟

☾☪☽
What system and wordprocessors are they?
Drop by Father Serra's Legacy http://msgdaleday.blogspot.com. Comments always eagerly awaited - but only if you find the item interesting enough to respond to.

polymath

Post by polymath » July 8th, 2014, 2:06 am

Windows operating system; Word, WordPerfect, Case Catalyst, Notespad, InDesign, CorelDraw softwares. MacIntosh systems support similar apps and softwares. The one criteria is inputting the clip entities into their associated shortcut keystrokes or category lists not installed by default. Some of the programs apps allow one stroke summons of entity lists then one or two keystrokes to select and insert, same with entire text strings or HTML code, whatever.

One of my programs allows type design, Type Light, entire typefaces such that they can be used in a wordprocessor program and then the typeface embedded in a PDF publication, so that the text displays and prints as designed on others' systems. I like that option. For example, I created a celestial symbol typeface and it becomes cross platform and application compatible because PDF publish embeds typefaces as an option.

Wow. Another example, I created a handwriting typeface from my own handwriting. Personalizes printed correspondence. Useful for PDF sharing too.

Another example, I created a runes symbols type design category such that it can be selected from default insert symbol commands. Use Type Light or similar type design software to create a typeface and Barb's your aunt. High learning curve, though. I take shortcuts by predrawing designs using other programs or scanning into vector objects through photo software then use the drawings as backgrounds to trace the type ligatures over as desired or retouch the vector objects into type ligatures. These processes, though, rely for cross platform and app compatability on PDF's embed typeface feature.
Spread the love of written word.