Oct 5 2011: Steve Jobs is dead :(

New member introductions, suggestions for the Forums, questions about posting, and important announcements.
Rachel Ventura

Oct 5 2011: Steve Jobs is dead :(

Post by Rachel Ventura » October 6th, 2011, 7:18 am

http://www.apple.com/stevejobs/

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nati ... 7308.story
Apple has lost a visionary and creative genius, and the world has lost an amazing human being. Those of us who have been fortunate enough to know and work with Steve have lost a dear friend and an inspiring mentor. Steve leaves behind a company that only he could have built, and his spirit will forever be the foundation of Apple.
Say a little prayer for the man who made Apple so sweet. Think Different.

Fenris

Re: Oct 5 2011: Steve Jobs is dead :(

Post by Fenris » October 6th, 2011, 10:10 am

I found out about this late last night and couldn't sleep. Normally I only get that when a close friend or relative dies, but I guess it applied here simply because of how incredibly big this guy was. He affected everyone (for example, I'm typing this on a Macbook now). I can't help but wonder what the world will be like without him now. He won't be forgotten.
Hi, my name's Fenris. I'm a thousand-year-old monster who's broken free to destroy the world. Your kids will love me!

Mira

Post by Mira » October 6th, 2011, 5:06 pm

Terribly sad. Such a loss for the world to lose such a visionary.

But how lucky we were to have him for the time that we did!

Rachel Ventura

Post by Rachel Ventura » October 6th, 2011, 10:09 pm

You know, for the looooooooooooooongest time (I think I just went into Google-O mode there) I was totally 100% against e-books even existing. Now I want myself an iPad. :D

Just hearing Steve Jobs at that Stanford commencement speech and talking about "all the things yet to come" I realize that the future isn't something to fear but something we all can shape and be a part of. We all get a little bite of the Apple core, and we all get to grow our own orchard and plant our own seeds.

On the NBC news tonight Brian Williams aired an interview with Jobs from 2006, around the launch of the iPhone. Steve said he never liked to pause and reflect on a completed project but just move onto the next. He never was one to ponder his own place in the continuing motion of progress or society because that just wasn't his way of doing things. There is no past, only the future that starts in the present. A very Zenlike mentality, I might add, and Steve was a Buddhist from what I understand, so that seems to coincide with his nature.

He was not about ruminating or reminiscing. He was about forward motion. For that, I believe he was given a very good name: The man with a passion for production, for a hard-work ethic and "insanely great" momentum, could only have had a name like Jobs. Not Laurel or Setters but Jobs.

I was all set to run away to Amish country. Now I wish I could be part of this forward momentum that he was so instrumental in creating. No wonder Apple was called Apple, because Steve was the perennial creator. :)
Last edited by Rachel Ventura on October 8th, 2011, 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

longknife

Post by longknife » October 7th, 2011, 5:14 pm

I think it was the CBS morning show, but I saw an interview with Wozniak about Jobs - I was really surprised! After all the reported acrimony, it appears Woz recognized Jobs' achievements in turning a garage workshop into a huge industry giant.

My first computer was an Apple II clone [I couldn't afford the real thing]. I'll never forget having to manually boot the computer each time I turned it on with DOS commands, the floppy disks, RGB monitor, dot matrix printer and 1.6bps modem. And then, a friend of mine bought one of the first Macs and it was awesome. I'll never forget putting together and editing the newsletter of the local Las Vegas Apple Users Group - it probably sold more Macs than any sales deal the local dealer had.

I'll never know why I've never bought a Mac as I've stuck to MSDos units ever since.
Apple will go on without Jobs just as Disneyworld has gone on without Walt.

Rachel Ventura

Post by Rachel Ventura » October 8th, 2011, 1:09 am

lvcabbie wrote:I'll never forget having to manually boot the computer each time I turned it on with DOS commands, the floppy disks, RGB monitor, dot matrix printer and 1.6bps modem. And then, a friend of mine bought one of the first Macs and it was awesome.
It "Just Works." :D Hence the old folk wisdom that the Mac was about as simple as a toaster. You just plug it in and pop in whatever you want, then Presto. Just like Disney magic...
lvcabbie wrote:Apple will go on without Jobs just as Disneyworld has gone on without Walt.
...which is maybe why Steve was so invested (in more ways than one) in the house of Mouse (again, in more ways than one). He brought Mickey et. al. into the 21st century and Disney has never looked back.

Too bad he didn't stick around long enough to invent a "killer app" to get rid of Disney pests like Hannah Montana and Beeb the Dweeb. :roll: If the Mac is/was a toaster then the Jonas Brothers belong shoved in a microwave, and Miley and the Mullet in an achy-breaky blender. :twisted:

ellisshuman

Post by ellisshuman » October 9th, 2011, 6:54 am

Ellis Shuman
http://ellisshuman.blogspot.com