Proofreading swap?

Critique partners are worth their weight in gold. So (checking financial page) like $20,000 a pound.
AnnabelleBaxter

Proofreading swap?

Post by AnnabelleBaxter » January 27th, 2013, 10:32 am

I'm looking for someone to exchage novels (or short stories) for proofreading, basically just catching typos. My novel has been professionally edited and then proofread but a couple typos usually still squeeks by.

My women's fiction book is self-published on Amazon, so if you want to take a look to see if you are interested. Search Pearl by Malory Thomas. It's actually free until Tues. I'd provide the link, but I don't want to appear like I'm spamming. I just want to make sure I don't have any typos and I'd be thrilled to help someone else achieve the same.

NSJIII

Re: Proofreading swap?

Post by NSJIII » December 17th, 2013, 9:28 am

Good morning.

Are you still looking for a proofread swap?

I am a retired lawyer, and filed hundreds of (very boring) legal briefs during my career. Because we blood suckers charged such ridiculously high hourly rates for our services (sure, he admits this now that he is retired), clients were always, quite justifiably, irritated by a typo. I began my practice long before computers, spell check, fax machines, indoor toilets...so we were trained to proofread our work product carefully. I still remember reading every brief from back to front, to assure no double words, etc.

If the above sounds like I am bragging, well, I probably am. But not about the indoor toilet part, which created huge ethical issues....is it appropriate to bill for your time spent, uh,

But I digress.

I hope to self publish eventually, and it would be nice to trade this service...and since you have already published, perhaps you would also be willing to critique my effort(s).

Take care.

Steve Jennette, Grand Rapids, Michigan