LF Beta Writing Group

Critique partners are worth their weight in gold. So (checking financial page) like $20,000 a pound.
PabloGCC

LF Beta Writing Group

Post by PabloGCC » January 7th, 2015, 4:15 pm

Hullo there!

I am looking to join a group or gather enough sci.fi/fantasy novelists to form one. I'm looking for committed people who can provide feedback anywhere from twice per month to once per week, sharing between 1,000 and 3,500 words of their own work to be read by the rest of the group.

My idea is to post the fragments on, say, Mondays and have the rest of the week to carefully read them. Then on Saturday, we post our comments/critiques for each one and have Sundays to read the critiques. Then the loop begins anew. You're welcome to write an introduction for your fragments - comment on difficult bits and ask for advice, explain what you were trying to accomplish, highlight something you'd like us to give special attention to, and whatnot.

I used to be in one such group and I must say it was awesome; one of the most helpful options out there. I'm aware things may take a turn for the worse, but I'm looking to put together/join a dedicated group, solid and close to one another.

Here's a synopsis of mine:

Set in Asaia, a magic-filled world, during a period of technological progress, where civil unrest is growing and tensions between nations are arising. Emperor Regelial, ruler of the Laégelian Empire, the most powerful state, sends members of his family down different paths that lead in the end to the fulfilment of his ultimate goals. These, however, remain a shrouded mystery. Is he an abusive or caring father? A benevolent or cruel ruler? A man with a heart and his people’s interests at hand or only a restless lust for godly power?

Prince Sefiren, the Emperor’s first born, has grown in his father’s shadow and hatred; as well as an unceasing rivalry with his brother, Prince Mytes. Feeling crushed under the weight of his life-style, the prince will find a spark of hope in a quest given to him by his father; a task that takes him into the heart of a brewing conflict between nations. Torn between his duty and heart’s desires, he will take the first steps down a path to independence and the gift of choice. Yet, when the time comes, whom will he choose? What does it take for a family to still be so? Can there be love and trust where there is naught but hatred, rivalry, and lies?

Marasia, one of the Empire’s leading figures and niece to the Empress, survivor of a massacre that took place decades ago, will find the very foundations of her being tested. Enveloped in secrets and promises, she will try to upkeep the dying peace while struggling with truths that contradict her ever belief. Are the Church and Empire she serves really what they look like or if they have a darker nature, masked by thousands of years of history? Is she doing the right things? Is she even who she thinks she is?

Despite the dark times ahead, in their hour of need, the Apostle, the Goddess incarnate, shall arise to reignite the flame of hope in the people of Asaia. The war is just the beginning; there are deeper, darker truths and nothing is quite the way it seems at first glance. Allies will also be made; unique friends with their own obscure pasts and fears struggling between self and duty.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Here's to working with some of you guys!