YA Dystopian Query set in Russia/Siberia HELP!!!

Share your blood sweat tears query for feedback and lend your hard-won expertise to others
LaurenNTaylor

YA Dystopian Query set in Russia/Siberia HELP!!!

Post by LaurenNTaylor » November 19th, 2012, 4:52 pm

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :) :) :)

Dear….

There is no love triangle. And in this dystopian story Rosa doesn’t meet a boy, fall in love and change her ideas about her totalitarian society. She’s already there. Rosa is a lash-lipped, troublemaker who doesn’t buy the whole, the war was YOUR fault and we’re going to fix the mistakes YOUR PEOPLE made.

Of course she does fall in love and it is all-encompassing and tragic in its timing. And it’s complicated. Throw in a baby and giant holes in her memory and it’s bound to be. But this is Rosa, she’s a fighter, she gets things done, she’ll battle her way through like she always does.

This story is about Rosa’s survival: Surviving losing love and finding it again under strained circumstances, surviving coming to terms with a baby she doesn’t want, and surviving the deathly, dangerous Russian wilderness into which she is thrown from the controlled, concrete environment of The Woodlands.

THE WOODLANDS is my completed young adult novel of 89,000 words....etc etc

wilderness

Re: YA Dystopian Query set in Russia/Siberia HELP!!!

Post by wilderness » November 27th, 2012, 3:21 pm

LaurenNTaylor wrote: Dear….

There is no love triangle. And in this dystopian story Rosa doesn’t meet a boy, fall in love and change her ideas about her totalitarian society. I wouldn't start with what your story is not about.

She’s already there. Rosa is a lash-lipped, troublemaker who doesn’t buy the whole, the war was YOUR fault and we’re going to fix the mistakes YOUR PEOPLE made. Good voice, but I'd like to know more about this. Why does the government say it is her people's fault? Who are her people?

Of course she does fall in love and it is all-encompassing and tragic in its timing. And it’s complicated. Throw in a baby and giant holes in her memory and it’s bound to be. But this is Rosa, she’s a fighter, she gets things done, she’ll battle her way through like she always does. This has gotten too generic. What's the plot?

This story is about Rosa’s survival: Surviving losing love and finding it again under strained circumstances, surviving coming to terms with a baby she doesn’t want, and surviving the deathly, dangerous Russian wilderness into which she is thrown from the controlled, concrete environment of The Woodlands. Too much summary. Start from the beginning. How did she get pregnant? Why is she in the Russian wilderness? What is she going to do to escape?

THE WOODLANDS is my completed young adult novel of 89,000 words....etc etc
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but dystopia is really hard to sell right now. Try to pitch it as sci-fi maybe. Good luck!